This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

engine won't turn/seized

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mjp
Zip Code: 55733

engine won't turn/seized

Postby mjp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:09 am

I have had a 49 Cub with sickle mower for about 15 years. Yesterday I was mowing and shut it off to clear the blade. It would not re-start and when I tried to tow it to start the wheels slide when the clutch is released. Engine will not turn over. It was running great when I shut it off. Oil is clean and full . Ant thoughts?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: engine won't turn/seized

Postby Waif » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Engine won't turn with a handcrank? Or by moving (carefully) the fan belt?

Idle it a while before shut down if it working a tractor under load , to give temp a chance to drop a little.
A too hot coil can conk out.
(Starting up after cooling off is a hint it can be a coil).

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Transmission jammed in 2 gears? Does the engine turn, with the clutch depressed? Shifter go into all gears?

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

mjp
Zip Code: 55733

Postby mjp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:24 pm

I just got it to work. My neighbor suggested that the starter may be jammed. I pulled it out and put it back and off she went. Mowing job finished ! Thank you for your suggestions

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:42 pm

That usually happens after the starter drive gear and/or the flywheel ring gear get badly worn. It is likely to happen again some time. If it does, try putting it in third gear and using a rear wheel to rock the tractor back and forth.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Remove the starter, clean and lube it. Put white lube on the engagement screw.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:10 am

Hi,
The ring gear on the flywheel can get battered edges on the teeth, from years of use, and then the starter gear doesn't engage well.
You can remove the starter, and look in the hole with a light, and inspect the teeth. Turn the engine a little at a time, looking in the hole, until you have gone one full turn. Use the fan to turn the engine.
You can mark a tooth at the beginning, with white chalk, so you can see where you started.
If you find the edges are widened out, or not the shape as they are back from the front ends of them, use a flat file and improve the shape of the ends.

Below is a pic of a flywheel with ring gear for the starter, not mine. If you can make it big enough, you can see the teeth, this one is worn also, but you can see the shape back from the front, the front is up in the pic.
I think they start out with about a 45 degree angle cut off the edge on the 1 corner of each tooth. This helps the starter gear engage easier.
I've never seen a new ring gear for a Cub, so not sure if they used that.
You can see if you look at yours if it looks that way. :)
Attachments
Cub f w 6.JPG

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:22 pm

Going a step further with Glen’s explanation, the starter engages the ring gear most of the time in nearly the same location so most of the wear to the teeth will be evident. You can heat the gear, remove it and rotate it so that the starter contacts the gear at a different spot. This used to be a common repair years ago. Unfortunately it requires splitting the tractor and removing the flywheel.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:12 pm

In the process of splitting a Cub to replace the ring gear. Figured if I was going to do all the work to turn the ring gear over, why not install a new one. Besides, I don't know or recall if the ring gear had been previously turned over.

New CNHI ring gear, $55-.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”