Lift

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Denteen,Lud
Zip Code: 49431

Lift

Postby Denteen,Lud » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 am

I'm a new member. My lift on the tractor will not go up or down, what can be the problem?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Lift

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:38 am

Have you checked the fluid level?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:58 am

If your engine does not slow down, u might need to rebuild the hydraulic pump at the front of the tractor or rebuild the touch control under the gas tank. I myself have failed in these endevers and just purchased used working components.
Rick 1948 cub

Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1948 Farmall Cub
1977 International LoBoy 184
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-54A Leveling and Grader Blade
Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Unknown 5' Single Gang Disc Harrow

Postby Urbish » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

Too bad you didn't post last week. I was just in Ludington and could have stopped by to help diagnose.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 am

Welcome!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

After your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to all the free PDF Manuals. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Don't know if you have any manuals, but implement manuals are also available.

Is this your first Cub? New to you? You might also enjoy reading through this thread: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

A non-working hydraulic unit is either the pump (as stated earlier) or the hydraulic unit itself. There are several threads in the How To Forum on the hydraulic unit and pump. Located here:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=141

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them. We’d like to see it.

Glad you joined us.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi,
The Touch Control has to have fluid to work. If it is low enough, it won't work.
I would check it and see if it is low, and needs fluid put in.
Since the Touch Control won't work, I would be sure it has fluid. Running the engine with no fluid in the Touch Control would probably damage the Touch Control pump.

Below are pages from the 1955 Cub owner's manual, showing the parts of the system, and how to check or change the fluid.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-65.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-66.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-67.jpg

Remove the filler plug, on the left side of the Cub. The fluid should be filled to the hole, with the arms in the rear, or down position.
The 1st page shows where the filler plug is.
The 3rd page shows how to check or change the fluid, and remove the air from the system. Be sure to do what is says in paragraph 4 to remove the air from the system. :)

Nowadays they use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid in the system. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure before buying one that it works with IH systems.
The system holds 3 1/2 Pints of fluid to change and refill it, so a 1 gallon can is plenty.

The reason the fluid was low could be the pump shaft seal is leaking the fluid into the engine oil, then there is no external leak seen.
After getting it to work, check the oil level on the dipstick after using the Cub some. If the level goes up, and the Touch Control fluid level goes down, the pump shaft seal is leaking, and needs replacing.