This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
codraro
Zip Code: 04640

Transmission Cub

Postby codraro » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi Folks I am working on a 47 Farmall Cub transmission that is stuck in gear. I removed the shifter and the ball at the end is fine. With the clutch in the R /1st rod that the shifter fork rides on is stuck. What could be preventing it from moving?
The 2nd/3rd rod moves fine.
It was fine the year before last but my neighbor never uses the tractor and it lives outdoors.
The gear oil appears to have water in it, milky color.
Thanks for any input.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission Cub

Postby tst » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:59 pm

I would remove the bolt from the r/1 fork and see if the rail moves or the gears slide, should point you to the issue

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:55 pm

Hi,
The 1st and reverse sliding gear might be rusted on the shaft, and won't move, I don't know.
It is small, and under the shift fork.
I would change the transmission oil, if it looks bad. Cubs commonly get water in the trans, from rain, or condensation inside the case over time.
The 1947 Cub owner's manual shows how to change the trans oil, and the final drive oils.

There are 2 final drives, each with their own separate oil, that the oil level should be checked in.

Below is the 1947 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1. It shows how Cubs originally looked. The lube section begins on page 14. Changing the trans and final drive oils are on pages 20 and 21.
It has no Touch Control info. That is in the newer owner's manuals. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

The trans and final drives use 90 wt gear oil, or 80W-90 gear oil. The trans holds 3 1/2 Pints of oil.

codraro

Postby codraro » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:46 am

Thank you all for your input. I'll post the results when I get back into the project next week.

790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12764
eBay ID: Jsimon1
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

Postby 790rivers » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:01 pm

I also had stuck shifter forks on a 47 that lived outside and was happy to be able to free it up with lots of patience, lots of PB blaster and lots of gentle taps of a soft mallet or wood block and mallet, in both directions. a little rust will freeze it, but it loosens up eventually.

codraro

Postby codraro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 am

Again Thanks, with a little fiddling around with a screw driver the R/1 shaft that the fork rides on moved and I was able to align the forks for neutral. There was a small amount of rust on the shaft that had prevented the movement. When I felt around the shaft I could feel the detent, I could not on 2/3. I thought that the detent was where the ball and spring met?? Any thoughts

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:01 pm

You can remove the bolt for the 2nd/3rd fork and slide the rod to the rear until it disengages from the front hole in the transmission case. A small magnetic pickup tool can be used to fish out the ball and spring (possibly with the aid of a dental hook). It's possible the spring is broken or the whole works is rusted into place.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”