hydraulic oddity

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: -
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

hydraulic oddity

Postby RedFox » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:17 pm

So last season I was plowing snow and all of the sudden, the blade goes down on it's own. I take a look at the control lever and it's moved to the down position. I move it back up and within say 10 seconds or less, the level re-positions down and the plow blade goes down. Thought it was low fluid or air in the line, but I changed out the fluid and still the problem persists. Anyone see this before?

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy

Re: hydraulic oddity

Postby tmays » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 pm

If I understand your problem correctly, sounds like friction disc is missing or needs replaced on the control lever
Thomas

RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Postby RedFox » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks...wasn't sure if it was the control level or something more sinister. 8)

Replacing the friction disc is an easy inexpensive thing to try. My guess is you're right on the money on this one. Ordered the part from T&M this evening along with some other odds and ends getting Daisy ready from plowing season.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi,
If this is on your 1977 Cub, the newer Cubs have an adjustable lever tension. There are 2 thin nuts under the lever base, where the spring is.
The disc could be wornout, but the nuts have to be adjusted so there is tension, to hold the lever in one position. The Touch Control will make the lever move, if there isn't enough tension in the lever spring.

Below is a page from the Cub parts manual, showing the lever. It doesn't show the nuts in the pic, but they are listed at the number 2 description.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 010-11.jpg

The nuts should jammed together, they may be too tight to loosen on the Cub, you may have to take the lever assembly off the Cub, and maybe use a vise to hold it. Try to keep wrenches from slipping on the nuts.
Tighten them together when done adjusting the tension. :)

Below are pics from TM Tractor.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/ghy ... dj_001.htm

RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Postby RedFox » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks Glen. I tore into it this weekend and figured out the tension bolts. I did tighten them, and that seems to have done the trick, but after 42 years, I can see compared to the thickness of the replacement ring I bought that the old one is simply wearing down. I many get a few more years out of it, but I had to max the tension to be able to get any real useful friction on it.

Looking at the diagram, anyone have any idea how to get the friction washer out. I just can't see how to get the rod assembly out to even be able to put a new washer in.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi,
I think you remove the 2 nuts, and shaft number 2 in the parts pic comes out. :)