This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

vertical exhaust pipe fumes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: vertical exhaust pipe fumes

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:51 am

My Cub had a locknut that's normally used for electrical fittings on the 1" pipe at the manifold. When I replaced the pipe I chased the threads and installed the new pipe but didn't use a locknut because it didn't seem to make sense. After retightening the pipe several times, I put a nut on, no problems since. It's not in the book anywhere that I've seen, but it worked. John

marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01012
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

Postby marshall » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:07 pm

you will NOT find that lost air cleaner cap

Yeah. The soup can does great while not in use but I invariably forget to put it back on and then clouds dump rain when I'm not around to stick the can back on. I guess I'll have to buy a new one - probably $8 with $10 shipping fee.

So the 1" pipe is just some hardware store black pipe nipple that is threaded and I can try screwing it into the manifold and hope that it will set some new threads?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:40 pm

marshall wrote:

So the 1" pipe is just some hardware store black pipe nipple that is threaded and I can try screwing it into the manifold and hope that it will set some new threads?

After notching it and using it as Scrivet described.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi,
Below is a listing from TM Tractor, for a new air cleaner cap.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/ae/1462fp.htm

The caps are made so they will tighten in the pipe. First, put the cap in the pipe, then I fold up a rag, so it is several thicknesses, then set it on top of the cap, to protect the paint, and hit it gently in the center once with a rubber hammer. They tighten in the pipe, and won't fall off, hopefully, if it is still like they originally were. :)

Below is a listing from TM Tractor, for a new vertical exhaust pipe. You can look at the pic.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/ae/492fp.htm

I would find a tap somewhere, and repair the threads in the manifold, so the pipe will screw in.

You could remove the cap at the top of the muffler in hot weather, or not raining, it will probably let the exhaust go up farther, that might help keep exhaust out of your face.
Remember to cover the exhaust when the tractor is sitting, don't let rain in the engine.

padre
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75683

Postby padre » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:30 am

I would find a tap somewhere, and repair the threads in the manifold, so the pipe will screw in.

I just did this. Borrowed a tap from the Lumber Yard where I bought the 1" black pipe (which was 18" and threaded on both ends.) I was surprised at how smoothly it worked. And this was after having to "cut and pry" out the old pipe which had broken off right at the joint with the manifold.

All this with the help and advice of wiser and more experienced members of this forum. :hattip:
1950 IH Cub SN: 118157

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Dale Finch wrote:Trust me, and this is from experience...you will NOT find that lost air cleaner cap until you purchase a new one!!! :lol:

and then it will miraculously appear in a place you have looked a dozens times before :P
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Indy4570 wrote:
Dale Finch wrote:Trust me, and this is from experience...you will NOT find that lost air cleaner cap until you purchase a new one!!! :lol:
and then it will miraculously appear in a place you have looked a dozens times before :P
Yup on Indy's quote. Mowing, saw the air cleaner cap fall off. Immediately stopped. Looked and looked and looked. The cap had to be within 10 feet of where I stopped the tractor. Drove the tractor on the mowed area, actually a tractor path several times since.

Several weeks later, mowing the same area. There it was, laying on top of the previously mowed grass.
I have an excuse. CRS.

marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshall » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Several weeks later, mowing the same area. There it was, laying on top of the previously mowed grass.

But surely only after you had ordered a new replacement including $10 shipping. This is a mandatory step in the process of locating the old one. :lol:

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:17 pm

not a tractor part but a funny thing, one day I was walking one of my trails, not 40 yards from a game camera, I could see this thing from 200ft away, a humongous shed antler from a buck that was never once on my game cam. After 3 days of looking for the other shed I gave up. Three years later on a trail I had searched many times laid the other shed, a bit chewed here and there but unmistakably the other side. a coyote may have moved it, but it was again, not 40 yards on the other side of my game cam. go figure :P

on the exhaust, pipe threads are tapered, so its possible you can get the stub pipe to tighten up a bit, one thing you can do is take a torch and "tin" the threads on the stub with some lead, a very thin layer, this might be enough to snug the pipe, solder would maybe work, I don't think the manifold will get hot enough to melt the layer. other methods have included coarse steel wool or even wrapping a very thin piano wire in the threads of the pipe to take up some room. This depends on how worn the manifold threads have become. A more drastic repair might be drilling it out to the next size and rethreading and installing a reducer back to the original 1" pipe thread. Goodluck!
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:52 pm

marshall wrote:

But surely only after you had ordered a new replacement including $10 shipping. This is a mandatory step in the process of locating the old one. :lol:

This step is only required if you haven't already driven over it and smashed it into uselessness.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Dale Finch wrote:Install an underslung exhaust!

Like he said :!: My 51 had a vertical stack looked cool too :tractor: but after a bit of seat time a bit green in the face :cry: . Underslung not as cool but it functional :D

marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshall » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Heres the solution I found at the hw store plumbing aisle. I gained a little height with that coupling and extra 6" piece on top of the 12". It seems to have threaded itself into the manifold well enough. I can always give it a twist if things seem loose. The left-facing stack cap seems to help with the fumes too. Came in smelling sweet as a hay field after an hour! Big improvement. Now I'm putting up second post about the smoke/oil I'm seeing around the base of the engine.
Attachments
stack.jpg

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Some of you may recall that about a year ago I installed a roll bar and canopy on my Ford 3000. Makes a huge difference in hot weather. But, I did notice that the exhaust fumes coming from my upright muffler were lingering under the canopy. So, I got a tailpipe extension with a curved end and installed on the muffler. I turned the curve to the left. Seemed to have made a difference.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne