This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission noise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Iamaxxer
Zip Code: 50677

Transmission noise

Postby Iamaxxer » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:13 am

We had the chance to purchase Farmall Cub off from the fathers estate.
Engine runs like dream, but we have a grind noise in 1st, 2nd gear. 3rd is pretty quiet. I have pull the shift cover expecting to find bad gears, but no obvious bad gears.
I do have a video where you can hear the noise, but don't see where to post it
Thanks in advance!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission noise

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:20 am

Welcome to the forum.

The gears are straight cut and inherently make more noise than we are accustomed to. (OOOOPS, 25 years in an IH dealership, you already know that.) May not be a problem at all. Others with video posting experience will be along shortly to help you with posting your video.

You folks have a great draft horse sale coming up Oct. 1-4.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi,
There are Cub owner's manuals at the top of the page at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals.
There are manuals for different years of Cubs there. You didn't say what year the Cub is.
The owner's manual has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. The experts on here recommend reading the owner's manual.
I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using a Cub with low oil in a gear case can damage the parts.
There are 3 separate oils to check and change in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives. The owner's manual shows how to check and change them. :)

Iamaxxer

Postby Iamaxxer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:54 pm

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Iamaxxer wrote:https://youtu.be/s0JOax3H2tI

Does it quiet down going downhill?
Sounds alot like mine in second gear only. Took my shifter off and inspected gears, cleaned and changed fluid but no change.
It's been the same since I got the tractor, no better - no worse. I just leave it be and try to ignore the noise. :?:

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:37 pm

It does sound unusually loud to me. You say it is mostly in 1st and 2nd gear? Any way you can have someone walk along side to listen more closely to try and isolate it? i.e. is it in the transmission, left and/or right finals, or maybe even loose wheel lug bolts (or if you have weights, loose mounting bolts)?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:38 am

Don't ignore that noise. There is something wrong. I have nothing but guesses for you.
Pull the final drive pans and look for foreign materials in the pan.
Check the brake assemblies.
Verify all of the lug bolts and rim bolts are tight.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Iamaxxer

Postby Iamaxxer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 am

I do plan on tearing it down this winter... 1st and 2nd are much worse than 3rd gear. With this being said it (in my mind) points me to the transmission over other areas of the drive line.
We were just looking for guesses as where we should start. I do have an IT manual coming. Will let ya know what we find.
Again thanks for all the responses I got.

Iamaxxer

Postby Iamaxxer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:14 pm

Ok, tore the transmission open... found a welded up 1st / reverse shift fork. And broken teeth from a previous repair in the bottom of the rear end. No missing teeth on any of the present gears.
Spilt the tractor to replace the shifter fork and rail, and replace the bearings and seals on the top shaft..
Noise is still predominantly 1st and 2nd...3rd runs very smooth..
Lower shaft?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:42 pm

gear noise is more than just one gear, the gear it mates with gets wear also, so only replacing one damaged gear will not cure noise, should be replaced together, also I have seen many making noise because the main shaft is worn and pitted where it fits in the rear bearing

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:52 pm

Have you jacked it up and turned the rear wheels by hand with the tractor in neutral? You might have something bad going on in the final drives, or at the ring gear in the differential. Differential is easy to inspect. Or maybe you have a smoked bearing. Did you check all bearings when you had it apart?
Jim

Circle of Safety

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:29 am

I have jacked up and secured tractor well. Wash all traces of oil from transmission. Then, with a squirt bottle of gear oil, add oil to gear train one at a time till noise goes away. Check bearings and reverse idler bushing the same way. I also have a squirt bottle with solvent as I go, to wash down testing oil. I do this with finals, rear pto, drain plug, and shifter off transmission. Use a block of wood to carefully shift gears. Yes, the engine will need to be running to perform tests but have had no issues as long as tractor is well blocked and front end wedges tight and clamped in place. Has worked well for me. Had one with a bad noise and come to find out the one thing I hadn’t changed was the reverse idler bushing. :oops: :D
PS. Have wondered about making this a bench test with a heavy electric drill but like the thought of the clutch shaft being supported as in service.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:13 am

Reverse idler bushing?
That is something familiar to me as my SA makes a similar noise in neutral and very much so in reverse.
I know it’s not a cub but the same issue.
Here’s my video....
https://youtu.be/a0AYVcJJBmA
Sounds about the same doesn’t it?
I opened it up and flushed it out. Nothing was seen to say hey here’s the problem. Even the oil slinger gear is intact (which is the prime suspect of noise for an A’s trans).
I filled with 90-120wt and it’s a lot quieter thanks to the heavier gear oil. It functions fine but I’d rather fix it than live with it.
If it was doing it in first and second gear like yours I’d be more aggressively seeking a fix.
I am going to look more closely for a reverse idler bushing now and see if it’s my issue. ;)
Thanks for the clue Steve.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Iamaxxer

Postby Iamaxxer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:16 pm

What has me puzzled is the 1st/ 2nd noise...if it was 1st Reverse or 2nd and 3rd these serenos would make more sense due to the shared gears..

Iamaxxer

Postby Iamaxxer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:Reverse idler bushing?
That is something familiar to me as my SA makes a similar noise in neutral and very much so in reverse.
I know it’s not a cub but the same issue.
Here’s my video....
https://youtu.be/a0AYVcJJBmA
Sounds about the same doesn’t it?
I opened it up and flushed it out. Nothing was seen to say hey here’s the problem. Even the oil slinger gear is intact (which is the prime suspect of noise for an A’s trans).
I filled with 90-120wt and it’s a lot quieter thanks to the heavier gear oil. It functions fine but I’d rather fix it than live with it.
If it was doing it in first and second gear like yours I’d be more aggressively seeking a fix.
I am going to look more closely for a reverse idler bushing now and see if it’s my issue. ;)
Thanks for the clue Steve.

Yes, sounds like the same noise...just really want to pi. Point the issue before I just start throwing parts in to it

Return to “Farmall Cub”