This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Williamb
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70420
Tractors Owned: 1962 Ford 4000
?1951 Farmall Cub

Throttle

Postby Williamb » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:59 pm

I recently removed the tank , rewired the engine and fixed the hydraulic pump on my 1953 cub. Now when I start it the throttle doesn't have any effect and the engine runs at high speed only with the choke on. The throttle arm does move somewhat at the governor but has no effect. My general rule is when one thing gets fixed something else breaks. I have a new carb and replaced the fuel line. When I look at the governor from the left side of the tractor I see a spring attached to the governor but it doesn't appear to have any tension on it. YouTube has failed me so I hope someone here has some idea of the problem.

Thanks
Bill Buffat

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throttle

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi,
You didn't say, I guess you are talking about an IH carburetor, Zenith was used also.
People have said on here some of the low priced foreign made replacement carburetors don't work right.
The float level is wrong on some of them, and needs setting to the spec in the Cub service manual.

You could try cleaning inside the old carb, and use it to see if it runs right.
If you take them apart, pull the 2 halves straight apart for 4", don't twist them. There is a small idle tube attached to the top half, that sticks down into the bottom half. They have to be pulled straight apart to avoid breaking the tube.
Use carb cleaner, or solvent to soak the carb some, and blow out all the passages with air. Dirt can settle in the bottom passages, or anywhere also. Wear your safety glasses when using the air.

Below is a pic of the governor and spring from TM Tractor. That is how it should look.
If the throttle lever won't move it's full range, work oil into the pivot where the cotter key is, they sometimes get tight there from no oil. It takes time to work the oil through the pivot. The pin is solid in the governor housing, the arm turns on the pin. :)
Attachments
Cub gov 4.jpg

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:56 pm

There is a choke lever on the backside of the carb..If out of position ,you can be choking the engine when choke rod at operator station says choke is off.
Looking at the rectangular piece on the outside of the carb (the one you use your fingers on if handcranking) will tell you what position the choke plate is in , wherever you have the choke rod at...

When changing a carb . you need to adjust the linkage to governor at (attached to front of) carb.. Then as per service instructions (if they apply to your tractor) ramp the throttle up and down after adjusting carb air screw until it is a smooth transition between low and high..

Williamb
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70420
Tractors Owned: 1962 Ford 4000
?1951 Farmall Cub

Postby Williamb » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:25 am

Sorry I should have been clear. The tractor ran fine before I fixed the hydraulic pump. The image shows the spring I referred to. I don't have the Zenith carb but the IH. The old carb had been jury rigged and I just couldn't deal with the float sticking anymore. It is difficult to operate the throttle so next lubricate the throttle pin.

Thanks

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:38 am

Check to see if the choke lever and rod from the governor arm to the carburetor are in the right hole/arm on the carburetor.

Guessing, you have them mixed up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 am

A majority of the Chinese carbs I've opened have needed the float adjusted. Sounds like you're not getting adequate gas flow. Reread Glen's comments about splitting the carb. Save the old carb, they can be rebuilt.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:28 am

Williamb wrote:Now when I start it the throttle doesn't have any effect and the engine runs at high speed only with the choke on. The throttle arm does move somewhat at the governor but has no effect.

Eugene wrote:Check to see if the choke lever and rod from the governor arm to the carburetor are in the right hole/arm on the carburetor.

Guessing, you have them mixed up.
Edit. Easy check. Pull the choke rod and see if the choke lever on the side of the carburetor moves.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”