This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Headlight Mowing at Night?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Headlight Mowing at Night?

Postby DonMountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:14 am

I have a 1959 International Cub Low-Boy with a 59" mower deck that we use for mowing the grass. The Cub still has all the original 6 volt electrical system and lights including two headlights and the same type of light in the back looking at trailing implements. Its been so hot here in Mid-Missouri that we are contemplating mowing at night with the lights on, which may take 4 or 5 hours at a time to do several acres. My question is, does the original generator on this machine put out enough power to run the lights constantly and keep a charge on the battery with the engine running full speed for mowing?
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Headlight Mowing at Night?

Postby tmays » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 am

If all your components are in good working order, then you’ll be okay. IF you know the area, which I assume you do. But this is where 12V conversion shines :) pun intended. Lol
Thomas

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby welderrx » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:33 am

As long as your amp meter is on the good side with the lights on I think your good to go. I sometimes mow at night with the old Wheel Horse when my allergies are bugging me, just a little bit of dew keeps the pollen from getting stirred up to much, The headlight angles aren't great for mowing but I know where I am going and I can see good enough, if I was mowing unfamiliar ground I would definitely add more lights. TJ
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:36 am

At Cecil's Cubfest a few years back, someone duct taped two of the freebie HF LED flashlights to the front of a Cub. They were much better than the 6 volt bulbs that were on it. There are some threads on using 12V LED lights and I think one discusses 6V LED's.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am

Yep, with good generator/voltage regulator/battery. 3/4 throttle or better, which you'll undoubtedly be using while mowing anyway. Keep an eye on your ammeter. Should be fine.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 am

Lurker Carl came up with another option some time ago.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30596

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm

TallCoolOne58 wrote:Yep, with good generator/voltage regulator/battery. 3/4 throttle or better, which you'll undoubtedly be using while mowing anyway. Keep an eye on your ammeter. Should be fine.

Since I am mowing at night when it is dark out, how do I keep an "eye on your ammeter"? Is your ammeter lighted? The bulbs in both of my antique Farmall/International tractors must have the ammeter bulbs burned out. Where do I get these bulbs and how do I change them out? :lost:
1950 Farmall M

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:30 pm

I got 6 volt LED bulbs from eBay and they are bright
and set up lights under the floor pan.

Ammeter gauges are not lighted btw
Your dash lights might be out though

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:59 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:I got 6 volt LED bulbs from eBay and they are bright
and set up lights under the floor pan.

Ammeter gauges are not lighted btw
Your dash lights might be out though

Is your Cub a 1960 model maybe? I don't think the 1959 model had dash lights. But maybe I could retrofit them? Anybody else have an upgrade like this on their "older" machine? :surrender:
1950 Farmall M

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:18 pm

mountain4don wrote:
TallCoolOne58 wrote:Yep, with good generator/voltage regulator/battery. 3/4 throttle or better, which you'll undoubtedly be using while mowing anyway. Keep an eye on your ammeter. Should be fine.

Since I am mowing at night when it is dark out, how do I keep an "eye on your ammeter"? Is your ammeter lighted? The bulbs in both of my antique Farmall/International tractors must have the ammeter bulbs burned out. Where do I get these bulbs and how do I change them out? :lost:

Sorry about the confusion. A PO installed lights to illuminate my oil pressure gauge and ammeter. Turn them on bright during the day, to test your charging system, watching the ammeter. If all is well, go for it.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:10 pm

I mow at night when I need to. I have a 6V system and it does fine. I mow with a sickle bar mower, so I usually loosen my right-hand headlight post and rotate it down and back to illuminate my mower. Even with just one headlight facing forward, it’s still plenty bright. I usually top it off with an LED headlamp on my head, so I can see whatever I am looking at.
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:42 am

WaMoo wrote:I mow at night when I need to. I have a 6V system and it does fine. I mow with a sickle bar mower, so I usually loosen my right-hand headlight post and rotate it down and back to illuminate my mower. Even with just one headlight facing forward, it’s still plenty bright. I usually top it off with an LED headlamp on my head, so I can see whatever I am looking at.

I believe you have this on one of your youtube videos - btw, any new videos to share?

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 am

T-Mo wrote:
WaMoo wrote:I mow at night when I need to. I have a 6V system and it does fine. I mow with a sickle bar mower, so I usually loosen my right-hand headlight post and rotate it down and back to illuminate my mower. Even with just one headlight facing forward, it’s still plenty bright. I usually top it off with an LED headlamp on my head, so I can see whatever I am looking at.

I believe you have this on one of your youtube videos - btw, any new videos to share?

We still make videos pretty regularly. A lot of them do feature our Cub. Our channel is: https://www.youtube.com/user/vnthomas16
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

Return to “Farmall Cub”