This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil cover gasket question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall C

Oil cover gasket question

Postby FarmallAddict » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:43 pm

I have a 1947 cub #1284 I believe. It had the original style diecast oil filter cover prone to warping. Just for reliability purposes I replaced it with the stamped steel one from TM Tractor with a rubber gasket from the same supplier. I started it up and it had a little oil leaking from the gasket. I readjusted it and thought it was okay. About 30 seconds later there was a pop and oil shot out of the oil cover from between the cover and the oil filter housing all over the engine. It made a mess. I replaced the gasket with a NAPA runner gasket and it seems to have fixed it. Is my cub incompatible with the redesigned steel cover? I have heard the cork fiber gaskets often solve the leaking problems. Did I inadvertently overtighten the cover the first time?

Thank you.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Oil cover gasket question

Postby Glen » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi,
An expert on here has said that the rubber oil filter cover gasket does not work very good.
He likes the paper gasket better, you can tighten the cover down, and the gasket does not squish.
They are sort of a thick paper.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new oil filter and gasket, and washer for the bolt. It says the gasket is paper.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/114fp.htm

Below is their listing for the new cover, it says it can be used on any year of Cub. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/563fp.htm

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:17 pm

FarmerCPA wrote: .......Did I inadvertently overtighten the cover the first time? ,,,,,,,,
Probably more likely the rubber gasket wasn't seated properly. I use the rubber gaskets and you have to make sure they are even all the way around so they are sitting against the flat of the lid, before snugging it up. Doesn't need to be gorrilla tight.

Additional thought, correct bolt and sealing washer?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:58 pm

I find the thin rubber gaskets to be totally worthless. I think they’re made out of old balloons. I prefer the rigid cork or thick paper gaskets.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:06 pm

I reseated the gasket and so far no more leaks. Hopefully it was just a fluke. If I have any further issues I will try the paper gasket. I have one of the filter kits from TM.

I do have the correct bolt and sealing washer so no problems there. I probably just didn't have the gasket seated properly the first time and it made me worried I messed something up.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Return to “Farmall Cub”