Transmission grinding question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clubless
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27041
Tractors Owned: ---------
1948 Farmall Cub #56596
1950 Farmall Cub #101608
1950 Farmall Cub #106823
1955 Farmall Cub #188789

Transmission grinding question

Postby Clubless » Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 pm

Hi all,

When I crank my 1950 cub in neutral and try to put in gear it grinds. After easing it into gear, I then can put in another gear without any grinding. It only grinds gear when I initially start the tractor. I can put it gear and start engine with clutch pushed in and change gear without grinding.

Maybe after cranking, I should push in clutch and wait for a period of time before trying to put in gear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gary

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission grinding question

Postby Waif » Thu May 30, 2019 10:14 pm

When drive is spinning , it will grind. I pause a moment for motion of shaft to cease with clutch in before shifting.
It's centrifugal force vs resistance until it stops, kinda.
So yes , in theory depressing clutch and waiting a while before shifting should avoid grinding.
A tight pilot bushing up front can be one cause for excess spin time after clutch is depressed..

Using P.T.O. shift lever is when over run gets noticed the most. front shaft spins a while after depressing clutch. Try to engage it to soon , and grind.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission grinding question

Postby Glen » Thu May 30, 2019 10:21 pm

Hi,
The clutch shaft should stop turning soon after you push the clutch pedal down.
The clutch pedal free play needs to be right, so the clutch will release, 1" of free play, for Cubs serial number 32229 and above, with the adjustment bolt at the base of the pedal, measured at the surface where you put your foot.

You didn't say if you replaced the clutch lately. If it had a new pilot bushing installed, that can be too small an ID, holding the clutch shaft too tightly, then the shaft keeps turning when you push the clutch pedal down.
The bushing should be reamed to the right size after installing it.

If you haven't replaced the pilot bushing, then it could be the pressure plate fingers are too low, a sort of common problem on Cubs. If the fingers are too low, the clutch might not release fully, then it can grind when you try to shift it.

Below is a post I wrote on with info for checking and setting them. My post is down the page. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104288