This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine Block Pressure Test

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Engine Block Pressure Test

Postby ricky racer » Mon May 27, 2019 7:55 pm

A few weeks ago, I purchased a Cub with a cracked block from a forum member. I had a donor motor back in the barn so I thought I'd take a chance. Before making an offer on the Cub, I decided I'd better make sure the donor block was sound and wasn't cracked too. To test the block I purchased an 1-1/4" expandable rubber plug from a local hardware store and inserted it in the lower coolant inlet and snugged it up.

Plug 1.jpg

Next I took a scrap piece of 1/4" steel and drilled 2 bolt holes to attach it to the head in place of the upper coolant inlet using a piece of gasket materal to seal it. Prior to installing it, I drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT hole in the center and inserted a schrader valve in the tapped hole. I was able to pressurize the block to about 30 psi to assure that the block was sound and not cracked.

Block Test.jpg

T
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Posco