Rear Crank Seal issues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Genseal
Zip Code: 61523
Tractors Owned: 59 Farmall Cub
42 IH H

Rear Crank Seal issues

Postby Genseal » Sun May 05, 2019 8:25 am

I am having some issues with installing a new rear crank seal on a 59 cub. Was doing just fine until I started to clean the retainer.

1. Sounds basic, but cannot determine the orientation of the seal in the retainer. Does the spring side face the interior or exterior of the crankcase?

2. In either orientation, the seal does not fit tight in the retainer and will sometimes rotate with the crank. I'm assuming this is not correct behavior - could this be corrected with "form-a-gasket" on the outer edge of the seal ?

The original and replacement seals are the "new rubber edged" type, but the original does not have a spring retainer. I don't believe that I damaged the retainer from cleaning, as the original came out with little effort.

Thanks!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear Crank Seal issues

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 05, 2019 12:55 pm

1) The spring side goes forward so the spring is on the side with the oil you are trying to keep in.
2) Your seal retainer is warped and no longer has the proper fit for the seal. If it is loose at room temperature, it will be even looser when hot. This has been discussed multiple times on this site. If you are interested, searches will find a lot more detail on the problem. The best solution presently available is to have the retainer remachined so that a different seal will fit the enlarged hole. Machining service is available from forum member tst. You can see his ad in the vine:
viewtopic.php?f=223&t=103876