Cub tear down

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdd
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 51 Cub with cub 22 sickle bar mower
55 Cub with woods 42 mower
51 Super A with L306 mower
52 Super A with 22 mower
53 Super C
53 Super A with L59 woods mower
66 140 with L306 mower
61 140 with fast hitch
74 International 574 with international 1850 loader
No. 7 Sickle mower x2
72 International Harvester 1210 dually w/flatbed
65 Ford F600 flatbed

Cub tear down

Postby cdd » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm

I am getting ready to tear my 51 cub down to paint.

My questions are:

1. While i am at it i need to replace the gaskets on the final drive. Do i need to just get the kit that has 1 rear axle housing oil pan gasket, 1 outer seal cap gasket, 1 inner axle bearing cap gasket and 1 upper differential shaft gasket or do i need to get the one with the pinion seal as well?
And depending on how much the oil has leaked may have to get new brakes as well.
2. Is there a reasonable place to get a battery box?
3. Best solution to degrease?
4. Anything else i should consider?

thanks
Crops are green, tractors are RED! :tractor:

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub tear down

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 pm

I don’t think oil by itself is reason to scrap otherwise decent brake bands. I have heard of people using brake cleaner or, believe it or not, FIRE to clean up oily bands. Ie, burn the oil out with a propane torch.

There are several good sources for a battery box. Most recently, I think I heard TM Tractor at the bottom of the page had a very good one. A quick search of the site should provide a couple of good sources, and maybe point out a couple to avoid.

There was a recent thread recommending Simple Green for cleaning without stripping paint. Since you are painting anyway, maybe you are ok with something more aggressive?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub tear down

Postby Glen » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 pm

Hi,
Below is a post from the How To Forum, with info and pics of removing a final drive, replacing the brake, and replacing one oil seal in the transmission case. A 1951 Cub would originally have the style of brakes in this post. IH changed the style of the brakes in 1953.

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=78436

There is another oil seal in the final drive, near the brake that should be replaced, if you remove a final drive. If the seals leak, oil can get on the brake lining.

If you need more info, here is a post I wrote on. Good luck. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103697