This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Differential shaft has marks

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Command52
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19954

Differential shaft has marks

Postby Command52 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Differential shaft has mark where the seal rides , Can i put shaft in lathe and shine it with emery cloth. It is just deep enough i can feel it with my finger nail.
Attachments
20190316_170811.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Differential shaft has marks

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi,
Yes, I would do what you said, and polish the shaft, try to get it smooth, and not reduce it's size.

Command52
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19954

Postby Command52 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Can i take off a couple thousandth if needed and still get good seal

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi,
Yes, probably. Clean the whole length where the seal slides on the shaft, and try it on when done sanding, and see if it feels snug on the shaft. Be careful, I'm not sure how small the shaft can go before the seal would be loose on the ID.
Oil the seal and shaft before putting it on.

Be sure there is nothing sticking up where the keyway is, that would damage the new seal, as it slides by.
If needed, maybe you can adjust the position of the seal in the hole slightly, so it runs on an unworn place on the shaft. There might not be much adjustment possible with the hole in the final drive though, the metal is not real thick there.

Return to “Farmall Cub”