This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Final Drive - What to do next?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Final Drive - What to do next?

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi,
The bearings will all get lubrication, if you filled the final drives to the filler hole. The upper bearings will get oil when the Cub is first driven, and the wheels turn.
90 weight gear oil is what the Cub owner's manual says to use. Nowadays they make 80W-90 gear oil, it is ok too.

I'm not sure where you meant you put the Indian Head Shellac, if it was the surfaces where the final drives meet the transmission, and the right side extension, they don't need it there, they are just bare metal.

The brake lining can drag some when turning the wheels, sometimes it makes noise also. It is no problem. Adjust the brakes so the brake pedals have about 7/8" free play, at the top of their travel, the Cub service manual says. That is measured at the surface where you put your foot.

If you are trying to turn the rear wheel hubs, with the final drives on the Cub, they turn rather hard. :)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rockfarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:35 pm

WildFarmall wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:3. The manual recommends 1.75 PINTS in each final drive. In order to preclude leakage, I fill the pan to one inch from the top and install. That way the seam and gasket are not continually bathed in oil. Still provides plenty of splash lubrication to the gears.

Thanks so much Don! Please look at my response to RockFarmer. Your advice was and is greatly appreciated.

I meant one pint per final, which is less than the manual and lower than the gasket, like what Don said :)

Unless you used an impact to install the nut, you probably have not overtightened it. Like Glen said, it is difficult to turn by hand once installed in the differential.

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28570
Tractors Owned: Uncle Hubert - 1940 Farmall A
Aunt Elsie - 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby WildFarmall » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
The bearings will all get lubrication, if you filled the final drives to the filler hole. The upper bearings will get oil when the Cub is first driven, and the wheels turn.
90 weight gear oil is what the Cub owner's manual says to use. Nowadays they make 80W-90 gear oil, it is ok too.

I'm not sure where you meant you put the Indian Head Shellac, if it was the surfaces where the final drives meet the transmission, and the right side extension, they don't need it there, they are just bare metal.

The brake lining can drag some when turning the wheels, sometimes it makes noise also. It is no problem. Adjust the brakes so the brake pedals have about 7/8" free play, at the top of their travel, the Cub service manual says. That is measured at the surface where you put your foot.

If you are trying to turn the rear wheel hubs, with the final drives on the Cub, they turn rather hard. :)

Thanks so much Glen! The information you gave is very helpful. Early on in this discussion I related that I have a had time visualizing how some things work.
It seems that I may have put too much trans oil in as I did fill it up to the filler hole. On the bright side it may oil the upper bearing better. After I use the tractor a bit I may try and lower the level a bit but I am not sure how.
I used the Indian Head shellac where the drives meet the tractor trans. It does not seem that this will hurt anything except I will have to clean a bit more when I remove them next time (if there is a next time!).
I think the brakes will adjust fine when I get the floorboard and brakes back on.
My biggest worry was that I did not pregrease the bearings and would have to take it all apart and do it. I am relieved that I will not have to do that!
Thanks so much!

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby WildFarmall » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:01 am

rockfarmer wrote:
WildFarmall wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:3. The manual recommends 1.75 PINTS in each final drive. In order to preclude leakage, I fill the pan to one inch from the top and install. That way the seam and gasket are not continually bathed in oil. Still provides plenty of splash lubrication to the gears.

Thanks so much Don! Please look at my response to RockFarmer. Your advice was and is greatly appreciated.

I meant one pint per final, which is less than the manual and lower than the gasket, like what Don said :)

Unless you used an impact to install the nut, you probably have not overtightened it. Like Glen said, it is difficult to turn by hand once installed in the differential.

Thanks Rockfarmer!
I already filled the final drives to the fill hole which is probably a lot more than 1.75 pints. In any case I will leave it at that level until I am sure that the upper bearings get well oiled since I did not pregrease them. After I use the tractor a bit I plan to try and lower that level a bit bun not sure how since I do not want to take the pans off and replace the gaskets.
I did not use a big impact to install the nuts but I did use a big wrench. The axels did turn freely by hand without any side or in and out play. I was just surprised how stiffly the axels turned when I attached the drives to the tractor. I feel better about it now. My biggest worry was thinking I would have to take it all apart again. See my note to Glen.
Thanks so much for your expertise.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi,
If you mean that you filled the transmission up to the filler plug hole, on top of the trans, with oil,
don't use the Cub with it that full. It is overfilled. The proper amount is 3 1/2 Pints of oil. The Cub owner's manual shows how to fill it, so does Dale's post about removing the final drive, and replacing the brake.
Don't use it with the trans overfilled, it could cause the seals to leak.

There is a small oil plug, low on the left side of the trans. Remove it, and let the oil run out of the hole, until it stops, then the oil is at the right level.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor showing where the plug is, it is to the left of where the final drive mounts on the trans housing.

If you filled the final drives to the combination filler, and level plug holes, they have the right level of oil, you don't need to remove oil from them.

Below is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing that the trans holds 3 1/2 Pints of oil when filled to the proper level.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2017.jpg

The page below shows the level plug, at the lower left of the page, that is the left rear tire in the pic.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2021.jpg
Attachments
Cub trans 10 .jpg

WildFarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby WildFarmall » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
If you mean that you filled the transmission up to the filler plug hole, on top of the trans, with oil,
don't use the Cub with it that full. It is overfilled. The proper amount is 3 1/2 Pints of oil. The Cub owner's manual shows how to fill it, so does Dale's post about removing the final drive, and replacing the brake.
Don't use it with the trans overfilled, it could cause the seals to leak.

There is a small oil plug, low on the left side of the trans. Remove it, and let the oil run out of the hole, until it stops, then the oil is at the right level.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor showing where the plug is, it is to the left of where the final drive mounts on the trans housing.

If you filled the final drives to the combination filler, and level plug holes, they have the right level of oil, you don't need to remove oil from them.

Below is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing that the trans holds 3 1/2 Pints of oil when filled to the proper level.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2017.jpg

The page below shows the level plug, at the lower left of the page, that is the left rear tire in the pic.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2021.jpg

I am sorry Glen. I filled the Final Drives to the filler hole just above the pans. I filled the Trans to the proper level letting the fluid just come out at the smaller plug as you show. Sorry for the confusion and not using the correct term. I apologize for saying the wrong thing.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi,
It's ok, good that you filled them to the right level. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”