This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New toy, frozen up

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigwally30
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 98686
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New toy, frozen up

Postby Bigwally30 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:07 am

Not soaking the whole tractor, used 2 rattle cans so far.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigwally30
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bigwally30 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 pm

More success today, got the clutch working and releasing. The clutch disc to pop loose from the flywheel. Pulled the manifolds and valve cover, two
valves were stuck, front one and rear one. By lightly tapping on the valves got the front one free, the rear one moved up and is stuck open. Will keep lubing it. The problem is the engine still does not turn. By the way the fan moves when rocking the tractor I am thinking the hydraulic
pump or governor are the problem, any ideas about this ? thanks for any and all help.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:18 am

Hi,
Good that you are making progress freeing things up.

If the fan moves some when you move the tractor, the crankshaft has to be turning some.
I don't know why the engine would be stuck, usually a Cub with underaxle exhaust has no problem with water or rain getting in the cylinders.
If the head gasket leaked coolant into the cylinders, that would rust them, or make the pistons get stuck.
It could be just the pistons tight in the cylinders from rust. Lube the cylinders with penetrating oil through the spark plug holes.

I wouldn't think the Touch Control pump, or governor would be the problem, but anything is possible. :)

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:03 am

Are you using the hand crank to turn the engine to isolate the problem to just the engine? If needed you can remove the starter and back up the CS with a pry bar. You can use spray lube like PB Blaster to lube the stuck valves through the spark plug hole by using a soda straw to reach the open valve. It will then run down the valve stem. Also you can "rock" the valve by using a needle nose clamping pliers to lock on the valve stem. Spray lube into the fan shaft hole won't hurt anything either. At some point you might have to drop the pan and see if anything is amiss from the bottom side.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:34 am

Ya , what do you mean by engine will not turn?
The fan moves with rocking ,so there is some movement.
There can be a ring or rings of rust/corrosion or similar spots and the piston ring(s) is hitting it still causing a bind.
Same with valve stems.
Easy does it. It took years to get in the condition it is/was in.

As mentioned ,if it don't free up easy enough ;it may be worth pulling the pan (get a new gasket and study replacing it and the pan first maybe) and checking for problems at lower end ,like bearings binding or rusted.

If they been sitting dry and are still dry ,they ain't happy.
Depending on temperature there could even be ice involved.

Bigwally30
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bigwally30 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:29 am

Still working with the engine, got the valves freed up. Removed the distributor and do not get any movement at the governor . When rocking the tractor in 3rd gear the fan moves 1/4 inch or so. I am thinking that the timing gears are frozen, the movement must be the free play in the timing
gear. Any thoughts about this ?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50 am

Hi,
The movement of the fan and fan belt is the crankshaft, and front pulley turning.
The governor gear, Battery Ignition unit drive, won't turn by hand, unless the gears are worn. It should turn a small amount when the front pulley turns the small amount that it does at this time. But it might be so little it is not noticeable.
I doubt that the gears are preventing the engine from turning.

Bigwally30
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Bigwally30 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:03 am

Well I have been working on this cub since December. I have been putting penetrating oil on everything for the last 4 months and rocking it in 3rd gear, I pulled the starter and used a long screw driver and got it to turn. After a little more back and forth work it is now turning freely. Will put it back together when the gaskets get here and see if it runs. Thanks for the help from all.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Sat May 18, 2019 12:43 am

Good to hear about the progress.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 am

When you get ready to attempt a start, make sure the oil pump is primed.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 pm

Check your linkage from the throttle lever to the governor and from the governor to the carb. Mine was stored in the barn and shop out of the weather for years and the linkages still froze up. I spent a couple of weeks just concentrating on getting those unstuck.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Rusty red
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 63783
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1957? Cub
Farmall H (long term project)
1947 Plymouth (project)
1947 2N ford

Postby Rusty red » Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 pm

When I got my cub it had sat for probably 15 years or more. I pulled the plugs and put oil in the spare plug holes,put it in neutral engaged the pto and turned the pulley for a couple of evenings and built up compression before trying to use the starter to turn it over.

Return to “Farmall Cub”