This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sheet Metal problems...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
xraycajun
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70769

Sheet Metal problems...

Postby xraycajun » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 pm

I only noticed after grinding that these hood mounting brackets are about to snap off on either side. Is there a best way to weld these back on? How-to's?
tractor-118.JPG
tractor-117.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sheet Metal problems...

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:13 pm

I had a friend reweld a pair on one of my cubs. The only way I could figure it out was to install the brackets in place, put the hood in place with all the screws in back installed, and shim the hood so that it was the correct height and the radiator neck was centered. He tack welded it while it was positioned correctly, then removed it to finish the weld. The holes are a tad oblong, to allow for some correction. I can't remember for sure, but I THINK I also had installed the doglegs to make sure they would reach all 4 holes, without being bowed out, and the grill to make sure it fit right.

My job was to grind it back down and make it purdy. Worked just fine!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 pm

I like putting the hood & doglegs on the cub 1st and brackets bolted in place and grille on to make sure it lines up 1st, once its happy it can be welded in the right position, off the tractor its just a guess that it will line up

IHCFan1950
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) "Ruthie"
1951 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250

Postby IHCFan1950 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 am

You definitely need to "mock up" before committing to getting the hood on. Use the doglegs in the mock up too. Once loosely on there you can determine how much you will need to correct in areas like the mounting bracket and so forth. At that point you can take it back off and make the corrections, then check again to make sure you really are lining up perfectly everywhere. And don't get so focused up front that you forget about the instrument panel and how it lines up back there. It is just as important. To take the dent out, only thing you need is a body hammer and the appropriate dolly and some time, and you can get that looking as good as new. Keep us updated! Can't wait to see her done!
If you own 1 tractor you have a interest
If you own 2 tractors you have a hobby
If you own 3 tractors you have an addiction
Anything over that..well your incurable! :lol:

1950 Cub (barn fire survivor) Ruthie
1951 Cub no name yet
1991 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:45 am

Ideally if you have a MIG welder, set on low, you can just tack-tack-tack, moving around to avoid heat buildup and warping. Keep tacking until the hole is filled in, then sand smooth.

I've done it with a stick welder set on 40A and 1/16" 6013 rods, but it is a lot more tedious because you have to keep cleaning the surface of soot and slag after every few tacks.

Return to “Farmall Cub”