Winch Battery

Brent

501 Club
:? :? :?

I'm installing a 4000lb winch on my Cub hauler. Should I use a 12v deep cycle for lasting power or a regular car battery for the cranking power?
 
A marine deep cycle will give you the best of both worlds. You can get either deep cycle, or deep cycle/starting.

Dale
 
I installed a braker under the hood and ran a cable from the truck battery to the back of the truck and mounted a quick disconnect to the bottom of the bumper, then a quick disconnect to the winch and made a pig tail to connect the two. Works very good and i dont have to worry about having to charge a battery. Let me know if you need pics.
Clint
 
Every thing depends on how frequently you plan on using the wench. If infrequent justed set a spare battery in the truck bed. Throw in a long set of jumper cables.

Nother thought. Buy some multi-stranded wire slightly larger than is currently on the wench and alligator clips. Simply use the vehicle's battery to power the wench.

And nother thought. Frequently used wench. Install a trailer type electrical plug on the back of the vehicle.
 
Trust me if you have it you will use it alot more than you think. To me it would be a pain in the rear to have to go get a battery off of a tractor or something and then hook it up before you could go to get your new tractor you just bought!
Here is my set up. I would think for the cost of a deep cycle battery you could do it this way. I am not sure, the wire was gave to me, i just bought the quick connects (if i can remember were about $25 to $30 a set) I have also found them on E-bay
 

Attachments

  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 188
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 188
:idea: :idea:

That looks like a good idea. I think I'll go that way. I have 8 guage wire so all I would need is the quick connect and a breaker. You just saved me the cost of a battery.
 
That style quick disconnect is a pretty slick set-up, I've used them several times. One of the neat things about them is that both halves are the same, just get 2 of the same part and they fit together. A lot of electric golf carts use them for the charger connection.
 
That type quick connect is also used on many handicap scooters. Another type quick connect, which also has a mounting bracket and weather cover included is the type used for trolling motors on bass boats.
 
Back
Top