Turning cultivators

tmays

501 Club
Are there any other implements that were used with the turning mechanism that mounted through the grill?
 
The mechanism in the grille was designed specifically for the cultivators. There were other implements that used steering, but I don't know that any of them used that connection. I think the corn pickers only connected to the steering via the front wheel hubs. I don't know how the rear wheel on the disc plow connected without some checking. There may have been other implements I'm not thinking of right now.
 
I believe the IH technical term was Shifting Gang Cultivators. When you turn the steering wheel it moved the front cultivators to the side making it easier to follow the row. When you raised the cultivators the steering disconnected allowing the fronts to swing free.
 
Comes from experience, I have a lot of hours plowing (local term for cultivating) corn with one on Dad's old H which thanks to some friends on this site resides in my tractor shed.
 
Back
Top