Thinking about a H

Bonehead

Active member
There is a H for sale near me that i'm thinking about. Any thing I should look for? Pro and cons? Says restored w/new tires and pull behind finish mower. Pics look good. Appears to have all decals on fresh paint. Just trying to do some homework before I look. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advanced.
 
Listen to it run, drive it in all the gears. Look for smoke in the exhaust, oil leaks, water leaks etc. Run it long enough to get it warm. Listen for transmission noises while driving it. Fresh paint can cover a myriad of problems. Look closely for cracks in all the major castings.
 
What is the asking price? And what is the going price in your area for an H in working condition?

I get a little suspicious when I read an ad that says restored.

The problem that I see is that the price for all new tires and tubes will come very close to the average price of an H in working condition in this area.
 
Thank you for getting back to me. Asking price is $2000.00(firm). I've seen them listed from $650. with needing head gasket to this one @$2000. with pull mower and varying in between. I also am leary about the word "restored". Means to many things to different poeple. To me , restored means top to bottom, inside and out, not just fresh paint. I just don't know to much about the "H". Not sure of trouble spots or potential headaches, if you know what I mean. Thanks again.
 
BD said it best look it over real good.Tranny noises or popping out of gear,5th gear[road gear] how much power??? Mine is well worn,but I got a bush hog cutter in the deal.I also got new tires and tubes.Kevin :twisted: :twisted:
 
I always stay away from the "DU-PONT OVERHAUL" equipment!!! Especially the "recently done" kind---usually means hidden major problems!--NOT always, but usually!! thanks; sonny
 
Good H's around here $1000 will top them out, I've had trouble selling them for that. For $1000 they should have good rear rims and fair to poor tires. They are dangerous, make sure you plan on purchasing some fenders, they may save your life if your going to use it. They really aren't fit for much unless your going to pull a wagon or something. H implements like sickle mowers are hard to find and will cost you more than you paid for the H. They would be neat for plowing if you find a trailer plow. They are squirly on hills and in my opinion very dangerous. Again buy fenders. The spring seats can be very dangerous if your in a pickle trying to push the clutch and grab the breaks, they will spring you off if your a little fellow like me.
 
Check for oil leaks.

See if the steering is tight (good) or has a half turn of play (bad)

Make sure the brakes are good and tight and they grab fast.

Look over the clutch pedal for play/wear on the pivot shaft. If this is worn alot, it has been used hard.
 
They are dangerous,

Actually any tractor falls into this description. The H is no more dangerous than any other if used as intended and a careful, thoughtful approach is used.

Statistics show that ag equipment is more likely to bite you than just about any other type.

I've been around it for over 55 years and still can stand, walk, talk and use all of the original appendages, but still think about the next time a tractor lites up it could come after me :lol:
 
Test drive it in road gear to make sure the front wheels dont wobble!--OR jack front up and grab front tires an check the play in the front bolster!---Mine is cut down into the casting and you cant steer it at all---now this is going to require a good casting to be installed, costly and time consuming! thanks; sonny

PS for a small tractor they will do lots of work, just not real handy to get on and off ,--at least for me!--you have around 25 hp to work with from an H so plan accordingly!!
 
Brandon Webb":evf1rvfk said:
Good H's around here $1000 will top them out, I've had trouble selling them for that. For $1000 they should have good rear rims and fair to poor tires. They are dangerous, make sure you plan on purchasing some fenders, they may save your life if your going to use it. They really aren't fit for much unless your going to pull a wagon or something. H implements like sickle mowers are hard to find and will cost you more than you paid for the H. They would be neat for plowing if you find a trailer plow. They are squirly on hills and in my opinion very dangerous. Again buy fenders. The spring seats can be very dangerous if your in a pickle trying to push the clutch and grab the breaks, they will spring you off if your a little fellow like me.

Brandon, I have to disagree with much of this. MY H is the handiest tractor I have ever owned. You slap a shop built or saginaw 3 point on an h, then add a two way open center hydraulic valve for power up and down, and you have the best working tractor you have ever seen. My H stays hooked to 6 foot mower all summer long, and has no problem chopping the tough stuff. It also sees tons of hours hooked to box and grader blades.

As far as being "squirly" goes, the one you drove must have been worn out, because mine is very stable and quite sure-footed. The H is inherently dangerous, true, but no more so than any other farm tractor ever made. Come visit me sometime and I'll show you what a Farmall H is good for.
 
Back
Top