Well I guess if ya can't find an H mechanic, ya gotta just be an H mechanic yourself.
Went pretty good. See the "yoke" in the top picture, I got it off with a gear-puller.
Then under that, the 3 cap screws take off the flange that holds the seal.
Then under that, you see another casting, with 6 bolts, when you take that off, you end up a short shaft and a couple gears in your hand. And now you have access to 2 bearings. The bigger, inside one is ST-206, the smaller outside one is ST-247. Both have "IHC" on them too. The seal is 19634-H C/R. Gonna get the parts on the way in the morning.
So the answer to the question asked in my original post is "Yes, it can be done from outside the transmission."
Many thanks to the helpful folks at Columbia tractor. I started thinking about shopping for the lowest prices, then I realized, what a valuable service it is to be able to talk to people who are dedicated to helping solve problems, even if it costs a few bucks more, I will get them right through the Case-IH dealership.