Golf cart wont start

Jeff Silvey

501 Club
I have had a problem with my 2001 CC DS on running. Engine FE 290 D-A517 Kal. Went to go start it last Saturday 9-16-2018 it turns over but no spark at the plug. Had problems at Portland show. I called a forum member he said it could be a micro switch in a black box by the battery. I believe him but is there another micro switch? I opened it up only 1 switch. Could it be the switch like he said or something else. This golf cart stuff is new to me.
Thanks
 
There is two switches, stacked on top of each other. One has 2 prongs, one has 3 prongs. All prongs may not be used. Switches have to be stacked in same position they came out. Wires need to be put on same prongs when replaced.
Remove the 2 little nuts on top and they will pull apart. Take them out and make sure they click when pushed and released. If not they are bad.
 
I did notice there was 2 switches. I did a continuity test with an ohm meter. One switch I think might be bad. Needle on meter went to the right, I pushed the switch it did not return to zero like the other one.
 
If that switch does not go to open circuit, when clicked, it's keeping the ignition grounded. I wish I'd known about this at Portland, I had some of those switches in my tool box. Another item that sometimes causes erratic no spark, on these, is the rev. limiter box on the front of the engine, down where you can't see it. It can short circuit, and ground the ignition. In normal use, the rev limiter is unnecessary on a golf cart, mine shorted and I cut the wire several years ago, instant fix!
 
Gary that's the black thing real hard to get to on the limiter. It looks like several wires. Ill look closer today. I have other test I'm going to do.
Thanks
 
Jeff, there is only one wire to the rev. limiter. It's about the color of chocolate milk. Just cut that wire. I've fixed several (including my own) that way.
 
Well Gary I cut the brown wire. Put the switches back in. I have spark very nice spark. Goin to button everything up. Well at least I have extra micro switches. They didn't cost me that much. Did the other test everything is good.

Thanks for your help.
 
Gotta love it when a plan comes together, huh! Those switches are good to have around, when I needed one, I bought half dozen of each (ebay) and put the extras in the motorhome tool box.
 
Back
Top