Free BTU's

morning all from the deep south. bob , looks like you got it down pretty good in the video, if nails ever become a problem ( old eyes? :lol: ) we use a blade for the skilsaw that cuts metal and wood. it is amazing, we ( well, i watch the contractors do it) have to cut out the rotted decking on the roofs at lsu, and broke quite a few teeth cutting nails that could not be seen. i dont know the name ,but we call it a blue blade. we have been using one for a year now and still sharp.coppersmythe.................
 
I get cut off yellow pine 2x4,2x6,2x8 and 2x10 scraps from our saws at work. All pieces are under 2' long and burn super hot. No work like that involved, guys at work load my truck up, all bundled or boxed up, dry and ready to burn in the CubHouse. :wink:
 
In the past since 1976 i been heating with wood. Its all about the cost plus my house is warmer too.

I heat with pallets and small branches till the really cold weather sets in. As it gets colder at night i go with the firewood i would find on the ground when loggin firewood to sell. The punk wood as its called would have a pink colored oak on the inside with the larger diameter trees. I burned it all from pallets to blow downs. I took 7 cords of firewood off a willow tree. I let it sit for 3 years to dry out some what. The smell was so bad i only burned it after 12am at night. Using my temp gauges on the stove and stove pipe i even burned pine too with the metalbestos stainless chimney. When the hardwood fire was up to temp i would put on small split pieces of pine. The heat of the hardwood would eat up the pine sap in the fire. In the metal chimney it was ok but i won't do it with the clay chimney.

I would heat my house, my shop and my shed with wood for free and sell the good wood for $$$. Pallets is a cheap way to heat the house too.
 
That's a big 10-4 there BigBill. I discovered the satisfaction of burning wood over 40 years ago, and it is work I enjoy, from going into the woods skidding logs, right through what's used for kindling. I have learned a lot and feel good about the way I do it. All of the aspects of getting it in are work, but it's a work I enjoy.

I can only laugh when a video is posted showing somebody working, and all the guys in their comfy chairs start making comments like "Oh that's too much work, you should have done it this way." They remind me of the people who sit and watch the DIY shows on TV then go around thinking they know more than the guys who actually do things.

Thanks BigBill, people like you give me hope.
 
Bob Perry":1wu6wkdm said:
I can only laugh when a video is posted showing somebody working, and all the people in their comfy chairs start making comments like "Oh that's too much work, you should have done it this way." They remind me of the people who sit and watch the DIY shows on TV then go around thinking they know more than the guys who actually do things.

.
spanish9.jpg


You in the comfy chair!! How dare you!!!!!!

(This is the little old lady across the street who suggested faster and more effiecient ways to process pallets)
Poor thing :shock: :shock:
 
HA HA HA HA HA Yup, I Like that Bob, I like burning slab wood from the sawmill also, but since all the folks have gotten up to speed on that I had might as well get that wood out of logs.(price has went up drastically compared to back when) I think I am going to gpo over to John Rocks, two miles up the road and see if he still has pallets for hauling away. :wink:
 
Here is Bob, Kevin and some unknown thug about to rough up the neighbor with the comfy chair.
.
Spanish_Inquisition_Comfy_Chair__zps5d1775a5.jpg


We dress in red and we are the IH Correct Police!!!!!!
 
Spent Saturday into Sunday morning on A pallet factory fire. They had an estimated 150,000 pallets on site and the closest water supply was 4 miles away. We saved about 50,000 of them. Biggest fire of my career.30 fire departments and over 100 firefighters on scene for most of the night. Plenty of BTUs waisted. LOL
 
Bob,
Wouldn't it make more sense to get the pallets in Boston like this instead of using the farm tractor, eh? just saying!
0109131805a_zps549ec92b.jpg

Oh my gosh....did I just offer a better more efficient idea?????
.
.
.
Bob Perry":1ylnyzxf said:
tt11_zps20868c02.jpg
Aaaaaarrrrrgh! I do not like your suggestion!!!!!

We all enjoyed your video and your warm shop! :)
 
Steve Butram":7t3smqg4 said:
Spent Saturday into Sunday morning on A pallet factory fire. They had an estimated 150,000 pallets on site and the closest water supply was 4 miles away. We saved about 50,000 of them. Biggest fire of my career.30 fire departments and over 100 firefighters on scene for most of the night. Plenty of BTUs waisted. LOL
Wow! 30 departments responded and then probably 30 more departments dispatched to cover empty responding stations!!
 
BigBill":vwfw27ux said:
I took 7 cords of firewood off a willow tree. I let it sit for 3 years to dry out some what. The smell was so bad i only burned it after 12am at night.
Stoking up son's wood burning stove. Added a piece of willow about 2 inches in diameter. Returning with larger chunk of wood was surprised to find the willow bubbling sap from the cut end. Willow came from wood cut and stacked over a year previous. Next day son complained that he had to air out his house when he returned from work due to the wood smell.

I harvest any and all downed trees for firewood. Won't put any more willow in the wood pile.
 
daddydip":9nyq02hu said:
If your burning Walnut it had better be well seasoned.
Burn black walnut, although do not cut down a growing tree. Interesting enough I skid out downed and dead trees from the property for fire wood. I have found several long, medium diameter, black walnut logs that appear to have been logged and not removed. Other than minor rot on the bottom the logs were still in good condition. Guessing the logs have been laying on the ground for 30 or more years.

Been a very strange heating season. Several days in the 70s or near 70 degree temps and then several days in the single digits. Wood stove fired up for a couple days, then shut down for a couple days, then fired up again.

Rudi: Got plenty of black walnut. Perhaps 400 trees on the acreage of various sizes. Problem is that by the time a single tree is harvested, hauled to one of the few mills buying, cheaper to turn into fire wood. Or could sell to a near by mill and turned into pallets.
 
Michael:

My comment had nothing to do with the bark on or off.

It was more along the lines of BURNING WALNUT :big what: My God .. that stuff is worth it's weight in gold to a furniture maker. Was telling Em, I would even be using the smaller limbs, dry em up good and then turn em into wheels etc., for toys. Walnut is a precious resource up here. I am trying to grow it, but so far not a lot of luck. I am hoping I get one or two to come up this spring.
 
Rudi":2w8kmjx9 said:
My God .. that stuff is worth it's weight in gold to a furniture maker. Walnut is a precious resource up here.
Taking a class tomorrow in removal and eradication of eastern red cedar, a weed tree in this area. Retail price for red cedar lumber is $5.++ or more per board foot, on the internet.

I'm currently dropping cedar trees, trimming branches, and making a burnable brush pile. Cutting logs into chunks I can toss into the brush pile. Cedar logs sell to the local chipping mills for around $90 a cord. Problem, chipping mills have very specific requirements for the logs they purchase. From my perspective, it is not economically viable to trim and sort logs to the mills specifications, then the expenses for loading and hauling a cord to the mill, plus my other equipment and fuel costs. Even if I did sell the cedar to the chipping mills, I would still have the problem of eliminating the branches and pieces of trunk that do not meet specification.

Neighbor sold mature black walnut trees on his farm for $14K to a lumber company. Lumber company had the trunks laid out along the drive way, guessing there were around 200 trunks. Could have been more. Any way, for the property owner that comes out to around $50- a tree with no labor involved. Quality fire wood sells for around $90- to $100- a cord.
 
Back
Top