Finally Home

Barnyard

Moderator
Staff member
Rosie and I took a little 150 mile road trip to Somerset Ohio to drop off a trailer at the Cub Tug yesterday. As we passed through the town square on the way home we saw the streets lined with adults and kids holding flags and welcome home signs. We figured it may be a local returning from Iraq, Afghanistan or any other military station. There was a van ahead of us stopping often to hand out bundles of flags for anybody who needed one, so moving along was a slow process. Understanding that everyone was anticipating seeing a loved one return home, we patiently followed as the van slowly moved through the main street of town.

Once out of town we hit the main drag and headed for the expressway. Rosie mention she had seen a sign when we first got near the town that said welcome to somebody or another, so we looked for it as we headed down the road. Along the way we would see large groups of folks standing with signs and flags scattered over a several mile stretch of the road in front of cornfields, businesses and almost any other place near an intersection. I thought it was great to see groups scattered about here and there for such a long stretch to welcome home one of their neighbors. Rosie spotted the sign she had seen early and it said “Welcome Home Cpl Charles White Junior”.

A short time later six police motorcycles went by with lights and sirens on. Up ahead, traffic had come to a stop so I did too. Farther ahead I could see a sea of flashing lights heading our way. I started to get out and Rosie asked where I was going. I told her since traffic was stopped we couldn’t go anywhere so I might as well get out and wave to the returning veteran. I began to lift my hand to wave as a dozen police motorcycles came closer. It did not take long for my wave to turn into a salute as I saw a hearse come into view behind the motorcycles. Followed by a bus load of people, several bike riders all with flags flying, a fire truck, life squad and several other vehicles.

On the way home we wondered about Cpl White and how he may have died. When I got home I Googled his name. Cpl White died while a POW in the Korean Conflict and his remains are just now being returned home. The out pouring of almost an entire town, coming out to welcome someone most townsfolk probably never heard of, really touched Rosie and me probably more than most anything I have witnessed in life.

Welcome home Cpl Charles White! Thank you for serving this great land of ours. May you rest in the peace you so richly deserve.
 
Thanks Bill , that situation helps restore my faith in the American Spirit I have hoped it was still alive. With the war on our law enforcement and all of the other negative things going on in this country that make me feel better .

Berlin
 
Bill:

Heart felt thank you for being there and saluting.

When in the US Army, my billet next door neighbor was a US Army Mortuary Affairs Specialist. He had been on assignment to James Town, Ghana to clean up James Jones mess. Several other of his assignments had been to disaster locations in the USA to recover and identify human remains.

Another military duty assignment, a Mortuary Affairs officer was active in the same youth group.

Appreciation to the Joint Mortuary Affairs Service for finding, identifying, and returning home US Military member remains to their families.
 
Back
Top