The PO must of had some issues with the generator keeping the 6v battery charged. So, he left the belt on the generator pulley, but disconnected all the wires to/from it. Put in a 12v battery and did some rewiring. The tractor starts, but it still has the positive ground off the battery.
Here's the question: I started the tractor with the battery in place, but once I disconnected either cable from the battery, the engine died. How's that? Would this mean that the magneto is also disabled and the tractor is getting its "juice" directly from the battery during operation? Can't you take the cables off a Cub 6V system and the engine continues to run?
I'm planning to address the electrical next, restoring it back to original 6v system. But this situation was new to me.
Here's the question: I started the tractor with the battery in place, but once I disconnected either cable from the battery, the engine died. How's that? Would this mean that the magneto is also disabled and the tractor is getting its "juice" directly from the battery during operation? Can't you take the cables off a Cub 6V system and the engine continues to run?
I'm planning to address the electrical next, restoring it back to original 6v system. But this situation was new to me.
