Need help diagnosing a fairly new 2 capacitor start and run 220v motor on my metal lathe.
At start up about 1 out of 3 times the motor would start but almost immediately growl/vibrate (electrically) so bad that if you left it on for more than 3 seconds it would pop a 20 amp fuse. For a while I was able to jiggle the drum switch and it would stop the growl and run fine. I decided to replace the reversing drum switch , thinking the worn contacts were the problem. But after installing a new one, I still have the same problem only now it does it every time and I cant get it to stop . This happens in both directions.
Both capacitors look good and test the correct microfarads, which is the only test I know how to do on them. I'm thinking maybe the start capacitor is not kicking out? The motor is in a really tough place to access and test, so I want to be sure of my attack plan ahead of time.
Has anyone seen this or have any advice? :lost:
thanks, tim
At start up about 1 out of 3 times the motor would start but almost immediately growl/vibrate (electrically) so bad that if you left it on for more than 3 seconds it would pop a 20 amp fuse. For a while I was able to jiggle the drum switch and it would stop the growl and run fine. I decided to replace the reversing drum switch , thinking the worn contacts were the problem. But after installing a new one, I still have the same problem only now it does it every time and I cant get it to stop . This happens in both directions.
Both capacitors look good and test the correct microfarads, which is the only test I know how to do on them. I'm thinking maybe the start capacitor is not kicking out? The motor is in a really tough place to access and test, so I want to be sure of my attack plan ahead of time.
Has anyone seen this or have any advice? :lost:
thanks, tim