CI toy

Jeff Silvey

501 Club
My dad made these when he worked at IHC plant in Indy. He worked in the foundry as foreman in the inspection area. I don't want ruin them. They do not have to hole drilled or taped to put a screw/bolt to put together. My question is drilling the hole plus taping it to put together. How should I go about doing this project.
Thanks
Jeff

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG
 
Not being familiar with the parts, I assume the screw goes through the one casting into threads put in the cast in stem on the inside of the other piece. If that is correct, can you put a bit of putty on the inside of the casting opposite of the stem, press them together to indicate where the hole needs to be drilled? Another option might be to drill and tap the stem then screw in a screw with the had cut off and sharpened to a point and use it like a transfer screw to mark the inside of the other casting showing where the hole needs to be drilled.
 
Jeff, My granddad worked in a foundry in Seattle and make some two piece coin banks that are fastened similar to what you have. I have always felt the slotted bolt head detracted from the piece. Since you have good access to the inside, you might want to consider "taping" the halves together from the inside. Just a suggestion.

Bob
 
I guess it depends on how authentic you want them. Personally, I would wrap them, and pour 2 part epoxy inside... (love the stuff)
Regards, Stan
Just my 2 cents worth..
 
Back
Top