I had to dig out a manual to check, but it is a right hand thread, turns to the left to unscrew. On ours the spring that returns the lever to neural when the pump reaches maximum pressure broke many years ago and the end of it went through the pump. That spring is pretty tough and actually took little pieces out of the edges of the pump gear. When I tried to replace that seal a couple years ago I made a tool using a grade 5, 5/8 bolt and used my big impact wrench. After I broke the bolt I bought another pump from JP Tractor, installed a new seal in it, and put it in. Look at the pump gears through thew oil intake, and if you see some chips out of the edges of the gear you may have the same problem.DanR":1e8z9zbs said:Is this a right handed thread? A 36" piece of angle iron wouldn't do it.