This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

front tires?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: front tires?

Postby SONNY » Sat May 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Mike!!!! them fronts look great on your tractor!!!---they do not look small!---in fact they look like what should be on there!!
I have not bought tires lately, but imagine the import tax will be on the next ones I look at!---None of the dealers around here can get usa made tires from what I hear. thanks; sonny

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun May 14, 2017 7:22 am

One thing I noticed with the skinny 4.00s is they sink into the soft stuff when I get back in the woods. Hoping 5.00s will float over that better.
15% Tax or not I'll be shopping for the best deal I can get. For the prices on eBay it's not worth the gas to drive to the dealer and paying top dollar. Just have to be patient waiting for them to be delivered.

The cub now has Firestone Field & Road rear tires.
(Brand New that came on the extra A swapped to the Cub)
I assume they have a compound that won't wear out quick when used on pavement.
If they make F&R fronts and your tractor will see considerable road duty it may be worth paying up for. Road duty may be the difference between the name and off brands.
Mine seldom see pavement but once when I did drive it into town I noticed the rears took some serious scuffing. (Safemarks)

Oh hey, what do you think? I should probably make the rest of the tractor look as good as the rims right? :wink:
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Sun May 14, 2017 8:50 am

SONNY wrote:Mike!!!! them fronts look great on your tractor!!!---they do not look small!---in fact they look like what should be on there!!
I have not bought tires lately, but imagine the import tax will be on the next ones I look at!---None of the dealers around here can get usa made tires from what I hear. thanks; sonny

It may just be the angle but it looks to me like if you put one beside a 5.00-15 from 30 years ago and you'll see it looks more like a 4.00-15. Mike if you have a chance, I'd be curious to see a measuring tape pulled across the face of one just to see....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:Mine seldom see pavement but once when I did drive it into town I noticed the rears took some serious scuffing. (Safemarks)

If you are going to run much on pavement, add an extra 2# or so of air to the rear tires.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun May 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Don't know what is recommended for that size, but 13.6 x 38" on the Super MD that I had for many years, had 22 pounds on them, they were Good Year, long bar short bar design, ( but made in Austria)--- and ran most of 1 summer pulling a 34' single axle semi- trailer hauling big round hay bales and also square bales.--the haul was 34 miles one way.-----They didn't show much wear after all that road work, ( Dad figured we ran at least 1,000 miles that year) ---and the tires were still on the tractor when I sold it 6 years later.---the tractor also carried the 3-pt. backhoe that I modded to fit on it and that ran the road a lot more.
Sorry I got off subject on this, but tires back in the day were made tufffff, don't know bout todays tires no matter where made and I too buy them on the internet!!!! ---but just where I get free shipping and so far had good luck with the deals and tires seem to be ok.! thanks; sonny

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon May 15, 2017 9:00 am

Super A wrote:
SONNY wrote:Mike!!!! them fronts look great on your tractor!!!---they do not look small!---in fact they look like what should be on there!!

It may just be the angle but it looks to me like if you put one beside a 5.00-15 from 30 years ago and you'll see it looks more like a 4.00-15. Mike if you have a chance, I'd be curious to see a measuring tape pulled across the face of one just to see....

Al

Ok Al, here you go...

Old 5.00 tire

5.00 front, 9.5 rear

4.00 front, 11.2 rear

Side by side comparisons...

5.00x15

4.00x15

Hope this helps.
The A with the 9.5s has a feature that's missing from the one I'm keeping. Im going to swap it over. Can you spot it?
Hint, the International As had it but the Farmall As didn't.
Both are IAs and both have the square axle and brace. So it's not that.
I'm also going to try to fab up a duplicate setup for my International Cub. Seems like being an International it should have had it too. :wink:

Mike
:tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 15, 2017 11:18 am

Doesn't look like there is a foot accelerator on one. Does it have an IAA serial number prefix? Or is it an FAA with the heavy duty axle?

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon May 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Yup it's the foot accelerator. I was lucky to find one. I plan on fabricating a duplicate foot throttle for the Cub.
Both are IAA tractors with yellow paint hiding underneath. Presumably both highway dept. tractors.
Here is the 9.5s tag

The other is missing it's tag but being a '46 built in Chicago the serial numbers are also stamped on the block

It's not a "Farmall" but it's better suited for the work I use it for and have planned, a front mounted snowplow and front ball hitch.
Mike

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon May 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Yep, older tires are bigger and IMO more correct for a true 5.00-15.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022