At least for a while:
A long bang engine is a 180 firing engine and a forble is a 4 cylinder convertes into dual 2 cylinders so the end results is a 4 cylinder that sounds and functions like a 2 cylinder John Deere engine.
The original drawbar was a swinging bar which is laying in the weeds somewhare so I put on another old drawbar. Not painted. The spacing and width of the tractor is the same as the original cub.
Started out as a parts tractor, a 1 cylinder tractor, a 3 point hitch tractor, loader tractor, then a tricycle cub
Maching the axle tubes prior to welding
Axle shortened, pinned, stepped prior to welding. Machined smooth and balanced on a lathe.
This is the top of the pedestal, the center round tube fits into this plate, welded, the plate bolted under the bolster. This is why I hate machining, all those little curly metal slivers get into my socks.
Cub spindles test fit.
Rear axle stuff done
Made a new battery box. This is why I like 12 volts, a $25 battery!
Engine brace, for another post
Oil guage never worked
Need to replace
Cap on distributor, longer starter lever, dual sparc coils, hitachi alternator. Engine brace not mounted yet
I used two dual spark motorcycle coils to fire the plugs, two condensors, two points
To run as a "forble" I needed to add a second set of points 90 degrees from the original, I used a set of lawnmower points to get the 90 degree offset. I then ground the lobes off of the diistributor cam to leave only one lobe.
Pilot plug to guide the hole saw so I can move the clutch pedal shaft to the left side. The right side was plugged with a rod with a 3/4 inch hole for the brake shafts
Dodge truck, Centaur tractor, backhoe waiting their turn.
I still need to make a bronze casting for the radiator cap. The Stainless muffler ended in disaster twice, not able to mig or tig 27 guage steel so I finally gave up and just covered the exhaust pipe with a SS pipe.
The engine sounds like a JD 2 cylinder tractor and seems to run/start fine. Steering is a little tight but has loosened up since I oiled the shaft. I'll park it under a tree and more on to the next project.