Wanting to restore

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:10 am

I'm starting the hunt for a tractor that I will restore. I'm going to stick with the Farmall brand for this one. I'm leaning toward maybe a F14-20. Are parts for these "somewhat" available? IF I don't get a F14 or similar I'll probably go w/a Super M. I know the obvious answer would be a Cub, right? :lol: . But I'm looking to do a bigger tractor. Just thought I'd check here to see what you guys think because I know there is a ton of Farmall knowledge on this forum.

Re: Wanting to restore

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 am

Super A or a Super C are nice bigger but not huge, in my area there are quite a few M s and H s as wwell they are fairly common.

Re: Wanting to restore

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 am

If you do decide on an H post it, or PM me, and I'll see if dad's old H is still available. This is a two owner H. The owner told me last fall it could be bought but I don't think he was advertising it. I would love to see it restored. It had been inside while dad had it and I think since. The last I knew the metal was decent but I haven't seen the tractor for a while. This one has M&W sleeves and pistons and when the current owner said it had more power than his other H's I explained why. It is a 1939. Vern

Re: Wanting to restore

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 am

Parts are not hard to find. Even for the F series tractors. An F-12 or 14 would be a nice size tractor to restore. The F-20's are a bit bigger and the wide models can be a bit unweildy to trailer around. I have an F 14 (Thanks Roger G.) which I have trailered to local shows with no problems. Parts have always been readily available.

Re: Wanting to restore

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks guys. That gives me something to go on. Last thing I wanted to do is get a tractor that parts are either hard to find or threw the roof in cost. Of course I realize that every brand has it's hard to find parts but that just life.
v w wrote:If you do decide on an H post it, or PM me, and I'll see if dad's old H is still available. This is a two owner H. The owner told me last fall it could be bought but I don't think he was advertising it. I would love to see it restored. It had been inside while dad had it and I think since. The last I knew the metal was decent but I haven't seen the tractor for a while. This one has M&W sleeves and pistons and when the current owner said it had more power than his other H's I explained why. It is a 1939. Vern

V W, I'm going to save your name and if I decide to go with a H I'll get with you. Sounds like something I would want in a project as I do not want a tractor that is full of holes and banged all to pieces.

Re: Wanting to restore

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Being partial to unstyled tractors, I like the F series over the newer styled tractors. I restored my '29 Regular a few years ago. Parts are easy to find relatively inexpensive.

Here is a picture of my '29 with #1668 DX gasoline manifold taken when the restoration was nearly complete.

Image

Re: Wanting to restore

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Here is a picture of my '29 taken when the restoration was nearly complete.

Man that is sharp! Nice job! And yes, I have looked at a couple of those also. But I am kinda torn between a F model or something like a M or H. One minute I want one tractor and next I want something diiferent. And one minute I tell myself I will work the restored tractor on the farm and the next minute I tell myself not to. I'm sure I'm the only one that has had this problem! :lol: .

Re: Wanting to restore

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 am

Steve H wrote:Here is a picture of my '29 taken when the restoration was nearly complete.

Man that is sharp! Nice job! And yes, I have looked at a couple of those also. But I am kinda torn between a F model or something like a M or H. One minute I want one tractor and next I want something diiferent. And one minute I tell myself I will work the restored tractor on the farm and the next minute I tell myself not to. I'm sure I'm the only one that has had this problem! :lol: .


Sounds to me like you need 2 tractors to restore!! :lol: :lol:

Re: Wanting to restore

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:27 am

ricky racer wrote:
Steve H wrote:Here is a picture of my '29 taken when the restoration was nearly complete.

Sounds to me like you need 2 tractors to restore!! :lol: :lol:



If you'll drive to Ohio and take the beating my wife would give I'll buy 2 tractors!! :lol: She says I have to many already and we ALL know that's a LIE! :lol: .

Re: Wanting to restore

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:29 am

Steve H wrote:
ricky racer wrote:
Steve H wrote:Here is a picture of my '29 taken when the restoration was nearly complete.

Sounds to me like you need 2 tractors to restore!! :lol: :lol:



If you'll drive to Ohio and take the beating my wife would give I'll buy 2 tractors!! :lol: She says I have to many already and we ALL know that's a LIE! :lol: .

Bring her with you today and Rosie will set her straight for you.

Re: Wanting to restore

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:31 am

Sounds like a minifest is brewing!!!

Re: Wanting to restore

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:38 am

Just a little movement of Cub goodies and who knows what. :D

Re: Wanting to restore

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Steve H wrote:
Sounds to me like you need 2 tractors to restore!! :lol: :lol:



If you'll drive to Ohio and take the beating my wife would give I'll buy 2 tractors!! :lol: She says I have to many already and we ALL know that's a LIE! :lol: .[/quote]
Bring her with you today and Rosie will set her straight for you.[/quote]

I didn't get to read this post before I headed your way Barnyard or I would've brought her along for Mrs. Rosie to work on! :lol: . Funny thing is when I go to a cattle sale she'll stay home IF I don't take the stock trailer. BUT if that stock trailer leaves with me so does she! :lol: . All in all a great women tho. She actually drives the 2N with hay wagon back and forth from field to barn and helps stack!! So I can't really complain! :D . In all seriousness I'll keep every one posted as to what tractor I do decide to go with. I'm gonna actually take my time on this and study it real good and make sure I find the one I want.So this is gonna take a little while...............I think.