This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Boeuf au Bovril

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Boeuf au Bovril

Postby Wise Owl » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:23 pm

Boeuf au Bovril
    1 beef roast or thick steak
    3-4 onions, sliced
    1 pkg onion soup mix
    Bovril Beef Bouillon Concentrate
This is an oven cooked beef roast, in which its juice is used as a sauce.

Layer sliced onions atop roast in appropriate size roaster. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top of sliced onions. Mix Bouillon concentrate with appropriate amount of boilling water. The amount you use will depend on the size of your roaster, your roast and the amount of vegetables you will add. I use a medium size roaster with 6 cups of boilling water and 4 tablespoon Bovril.

Cook at 225 degrees Farenheit for 6 to 8 hours in a covered roaster. About 1½ hours before serving, I add peeled carrots cut in large pieces. About 1 hour before serving, I add peeled potatoes. The amount of carrots and potatoes you add wiil depend on what you need and what you can fit in your roaster. I try to make sure to submerge the vegetables in the juice. The potatoes might not totally submerge. That`s ok. Just make sure you at least briefly totally submerge them to coat them so they do not dry out.

With this recipe, your toughest cuts of beef will just melt in your mouth. What`s really nice is that it is a one dish meal and very easy to make. The smell in your house will be very good aromatherapy.
Enjoy!! :) Bon appétit!!!
Emilie

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

mniekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mniekamp » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:25 pm

SOUNDS GOOD! I AM GOING TO TRY IT. I EVEN THINK THE BOYS WILL LIKE IT. YOU ALL KNOW HOW KIDS ARE. THEY BASICALLY LIKE THE SAME OLE STUFF ALL THE TIME.

THANKS FOR THE RECIPES

MARY :D :wink:

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:51 pm

Em,

Thanks, I saw this at noon, when I came home for lunch and told Mary to come and check it out herself.

This looks just like what would be down alley. Something quick, easy and don't to have and watch the pot boil.

That way I could even stick it in the pot and go play with the tractor (woops, sorry forgot, NO TRACTOR TALK, allowed here)

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK,

Thanks Em

John Niekamp
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

agnes
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43420

Postby agnes » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi Emilie,
What is Bovril --Is it a brand name for beef boulion? I don't think it is available in this part of the country. The recipe sounds good. Tonight I am making cobbler for supper.
Agnes

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:55 pm

Agnes:

Bovril is a Beef Bouillion Concentrate. I am not sure if it is available in the US. If not I am sure any beef bouillion concentrate would do the same. The taste will not be quite the same but I am sure it will be good anyway.

What kind of cobbler did you cook tonight? That sounds good.
I had some tomato sauce left over from some manicotti I made a few days ago so I put it in a casserole dish with some chicken breasts and served it on a bed of linguini with a side of carrots. Desert was a Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake. I must say it was pretty good.

Emilie

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04664
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby Vern Campbell » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:12 am

Emilie,
I just had to thank you for this recipe. My wife Bev made it for supper last night, and it was PHENOMENAL! :D :D :D :D And you are so right, the aroma while it was cooking was real therapy. Thanks again, and my best regards to Rudi. I hope his recovery is going well and speedily. His posts and resources have been so valuable to me.
Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:26 pm

Vern:

Em will probably pop in later tonight. She is up in the kitchen whipping up some more goodies.... :lol:

Can you tell me if your wife was able to get hold of Bovril in your area? If not, what did she use in it's place.

Can you tell me how far Franklin is from Calais?

Is Bev gonna get a user name and come on in to this forum?

Sorry, had to ask. I am really quite proud of Em and how she thought this out and proposed the forum to Dennis. I just hope it will become a beehive of activity for our better halves :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi Rudi,
I'm still smiling over the meal! I don't know yet if Bovril is available here or not. Bev used the ingredients she had on hand, so she used Oxo brand beef bouillon concentrate. She told me she is going to look for Bovril, so she can try the recipe the way it should be. I don't know how you could improve on it much! :D

Bev is planning to sign on to this forum. She doesn't do much with computers, so she has asked me for instruction. When I told her that it doesn't take a genius. She said "Obviously." Hmmm. At least she was smiling when she said it!

Calais is about 110 miles from Franklin. We usually take 182 (the Black Woods Road) to route 1 in Cherryfield, then it's just 1 to Calais. It's actually a little quicker to take a couple of back roads to 9, the Airline, but 1 is much more scenic.

How far are you from Calais/St. Stephen? We like to travel to N.B. and go to St. John at least a couple of times a year. I have a friend who lives in Eastport, and we sail his boat to St. Andrews once in a while for lunch.

One more question, which doesn't belong on this forum. Will you and the Chown's be having a Cubfest Northeast this year? I'm sure a lot of it depends on how you are feeling, of course. You have been our thoughts and prayers, and I hope you are feeling better and stronger every day.

Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:19 pm

Vern:

Next time you are in NB, any grocery store has Bovril. It is marketed by Best Foods, so it should be available stateside. Until then OXO is a good substitute. Maggi or Knorr is also excellent.

Unfortunately, all of these products are very high in sodium, so we use it in moderation.

Em and I are about 2 hours away from St. John. Or, 25 minutes from the Nova Scotia border. Dieppe is one of the tri-communities in the Greater Moncton area. Riverview is the other community in the group.

As for Cub-Fest Northeast, well, I can respond as our better halves are the ones who made our first effort a success :!: :wink: :D Truly :!: There will not be one this year due to my illness. I will post on the Cub Forum what I hope will happen for next year.

However, just because Cub-Fest is not on this year, that is no excuse why you and Bev could not pop in for a visit :!: Coffee and good stuff is always on and of course there are things to visit as well that we won't mention ok?

As for health, it is coming. I see the docs tomorrow morning for a chest scan and hopefully I will get permission to start doing things slowly.

Cheers
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:53 am

Rudi:

I hope the doctor gives you the green light to increase your activity. Judging from your posts and all the tremendous effort you have put into this great forum, "taking it easy" isn't part of your regular vocabulary!

Bev and I would love to visit you and Em. Bev has been talking about another trip to PEI later this year. We went in the fall two years ago and had a great time. That would put us right in your neck of the woods on the way.

Em should see some posts here from Bev very soon. She checked out the forum with me this evening, and her first comment was "What a nice group of people." She's so right. :D :D

Best of luck tomorrow. My thoughts will be with you.

Vern

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:21 am

Wyler's makes a low sodium (5 mg/serving) instant beef broth. Wyler's is a subsidary of Borden, Inc.

Here's a li'l something you could add to your beef roast, but you'll have to transfer your roaster from the oven to the stove top for the last 20 minutes.

Dumplings

2 cups sifted flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 egg, beaten
¾ cup milk

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, cut in butter. Combine the egg and milk, stir into dry ingredients to make a stiff batter. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll to ½ inch thick. Cut into 1-2 inch squares and drop into gently boiling soup/stew/sauerbraten/pot roast. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes.

Two hints for tender, fluffy dumplings:

1. The ingredients should be cold. If the fat melts into the flour BEFORE the dumplings start cooking, the dumplings will come out tough and chewy. This is true for any pastry.

2. Your pot must have a good fitting lid and no peeking before 20 minutes! If too much steam escapes from the pot, the dumplings become heavy and sticky.

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:37 pm

Carl:

Thanks for the Dumpling recipe.

Dumplings are a really good idea for second day leftover stew with adjusted amounts of liquids, which I do on a regular basis. The dumplings will thickn up the juice a bit.

Also the extra juice from the 1st day Boeuf au Bovril can be used as a stock or base for a soup or gravy on hotbeef sandwiches.

This is all fine and dandy if you do have leftovers :) :)

Carl do you mid if I put this Dumpling recipe as a new thread along with other Dumpling recipies :?:

Emilie

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:17 pm

Em,

Go ahead and move it to where it should to be. I'm defrosting a bottom round roast to give your recipe a try!

Carl

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:30 pm

Just ate a yummy pot roast dinner. Excellent recipe! We added green beans and mushrooms.

No dumplings though, gotta keep away from refined flour. I'm going to experiment with whole wheat flour and see how they turn out.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”