This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Interesting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Interesting

Postby Donny M » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:11 pm

I set up another electrolysis tank to derust Rose's front rims. The only material I had for an anode was some aluminum plate and some 6 1/8" copper tube. I also didn't have any washing soda or TSP on hand so I borrowed some Cascade dishwasher detergent. Boy did this thing cook :!: :!: Drawing 40 amps on the 200 amp (start setting) on the charger was no problem. I let it cook for 16 hours drawing 20 amps, here's the nice little surprise after the cooking was finished:

Other side:

I'll bet I won't have to worry about flash rust :wink:

I'm sure that getting to correct salts and using the optimum current would make this more efficient.
Off to paint :wink: :lol: :lol:
8)

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:58 pm

sweet :lol:
Image On To Bigger Things

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:01 pm

Donny:

Does this mean you are going to write a neat How To Electroplate Your Cub Front Rims Image More :!: Image Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:25 pm

Donny,

I'm guessing you had the positive connected to the rim and the negative to the copper?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:17 pm

No he had to have the positive on the copper. Metal disappears from the positive electrode providing the positive ions in the liquid.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Does copper hold paint well?
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Jim Becker wrote:No he had to have the positive on the copper. Metal disappears from the positive electrode providing the positive ions in the liquid.

Jim,
Exactly, as you would with a steel anode.

Bill,
I was wondering that myself. I think with the small amount of copper on the rims they should hold paint ok, time will tell :wink:

Rudi,

This is no more than a standard electrolysis tank with two differences, 1st is the anode which is copper and 2nd I have a high amount of Cascade concentration.
To plate the rims efficiently, one would need copper sulfate and sulfuric acid, something which I'm not willing to get into at this point.
8)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:31 pm

That is pretty cool Donny!!

Guess your rims weren't as beat up as mine (they are many years younger and not from northern VT). Mine took a pretty long time in the big tank, at least 3 days each.

I figure copper is too expensive these days.

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:12 pm

Ronny, how do they look inside :?:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:25 pm

Spike, :lol:

They look the same inside except for the Star Of David, the imprint still has white paint in it :lol:
8)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:57 pm

George Willer wrote:Donny,

I'm guessing you had the positive connected to the rim and the negative to the copper?

Where did I go wrong? An electron carries an arbitrary negative charge so I would think the negative terminal (cathode) has a surplus from which the electrons flow through the electrolyte to the positive (anode) which has too few... taking material along with the flow. This flow in our cleaning tanks removes material from the part we are cleaning and deposits it as crud on the anodes.

That's why I assumed Donny's system plated the copper from being reversed. Thinking I may have mis-remembered what I learned nearly 60 years ago I looked it up.

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/howworks.html
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:04 pm

Did your electrolite start to get a green color? If Cascade has any phosphates in it (not unlikely), your solution probably now has some copper phosphate in it. Copper phosphate is used some as a fungicide. I don't think it is known to be particularly hazardous. Likewise, the aluminum probably would result in some aluminum phosphate. Aluminum phosphate is used in baking as a leavening agent. So presumably it is safe enough.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:19 pm

Donny
Did it have that black layer on it and did I understand you used both copper and aluminum and how did they hold up
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Jim,

The Cascade has no more than a 6% phosphate content, according to the label. The soultion is somewhat green but Cascade also has blue/green chips, who knows what that stuff is :?: :wink: The Cascade is working great removing rust but it's not as efficient as it could be if I really wanted to plate the rims.

David,
Yes there is black muck in the solution. It's boiling away pretty hard (25 amps) so it doesn't have time to develop a film on the surface. The copper anode also builds a black muck layer, I read someplace that this is exaggerated by high current during the process.
The copper tube I'm using is 6 1/8" dia with a .075" wall and is holding up just fine. I didn't try the aluminum.

One thing I have noticed using the copper; the current doesn't drop off as it does when using steel. If anything it's increasing, I guess the more it's used the more copper phosphate is added to the soultion.
8)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:42 pm

George,
Your reference page has a pretty good explanation. I bet if you go back and review it, it will become clear to you. What Donny did is essentially the same as "A second demonstration" on that page.

I hope I get this right, or at least close enough to get some warped version of the general idea. I'm not a chemist.

When a piece of iron rusts, the process is oxidation. Iron looses it's electrons, becoming a positive ion and combines with a negative oxygen ion. Fe + O2 --> Fe2O3. Fe2O3 is ferric oxide, common red rust.

To copper plate something a copper anode is stuck in a solution and given a positive charge. The positive charge is looking for electrons, which is sucks out of some of the copper. This leaves some positive copper ions on the surface of the copper anode. These ions dive into the solution, where they are attracted by the other electrode that has a negative charge (the cathode). As soon as they run into the negative electrode, they snatch enough electrons to become neutral (this is reduction) and grab onto the surface of the electrode. At this point, they become part of the copper plating on the electrode. This is going to work a lot better on the clean (non-rusted) parts of the cathode, which I think you can see in Donny's rim pictures.

Meanwhile, we still have a surplus of electrons hanging around on the rim, trying to go cause other reduction reactions. One of the things it works on is the rust on the electrode (the reason we are messing with this thing in the first plae). One possible reduction action is to undo the oxidation that caused the rust in the first place. So SOME of the rust will be separated back into iron, with the oxygen bubbling off into the air. So yes, some of the rust is actually turned back into iron that is put back in the rust pits that it came from. Some of the rest of the rust is reduced back into a different iron oxide. Ferrous ferric oxide (Fe3O4) is a common black rust. I believe that is what most of the black residue is on the parts we have cleaned. When it forms, it doesn't hold as tightly on the part as the red rust does. Consequently, a mixture of it, red rust and iron comes loose and a lot of it falls to the bottom of the container. Another posible iron oxide is ferrous oxide (FeO). It is also black. I hope we aren't producing much of that because it is potentially explosive.

The anode needs a continuous supply of electrons to send back to the battery charger so the battery charger can send them back to the cathode. It got some from those copper ions that jumped off the anode to swim towards the wheel rim. But that only supplies enough electrons to give back to the copper when it reaches the rim. So more need to come from somewhere. The only source left is the negatively charged phosphate ions swimming in the solution. Since they are negatively charged, they are attracted to the anode. They give up their extra electrons on contact. And I presume they take up residence on the anode as the glop we need to clean off every so often.

So the bottom line is that positive ions move towards the cathode while negative ions move towards the anode. The positive ions, being metals, form nice crystaline structures that become plating while the negative ions are things like phosphates that turn to glop.