This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SCARED! To take Governor Off

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BackswampCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

SCARED! To take Governor Off

Postby BackswampCub » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:30 pm

It has now come to the part in my restoration to replace all the front seals on the engine. But I am not sure how to remove and replace the Governor without messing timing up. I have seen it on here before but cannot find the thread. Can some one break it down step by step. On how to take it off and put back without messing timing up.
1961 Cub
1948 Cub
1960 CUB
1964 CUB CADET 100
23A Disc,2-C-22 sickles,54 Blade,152 disc,38a lift disc,C2 Mower,Kub Klipper, and a side dresser.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:03 am

If I was you I would remove the governor and retime the Cub. If your governor is needed a tune-up the engine timing will probably need one also. It only takes a few minutes to retime. We had a nice CubFest how to on governor repair and clean-up Saturday. You have raised a good question though.

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:04 am

I prefer to line the engine up on timing mark for no1 cylinder with both valves closed then remove the gov
Ron

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:01 pm

As Ron said - set the engine with #1 cylinder at TDC on compression and be sure it does not move while the governor is off. It will then be easy to replace the governor properly timed to the engine.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:12 pm

If you have not removed the governor just yet, remove the drive seal first. Then with number 1 cylinder at TDC you can use nail polish to mark the timing gears.
There are punch marks on the gears but hard to see (tired eyes :lol: ). On reassembly install the governor per the marks and put the new seal in after the governor is installed.
8)

Return to “Farmall Cub”