This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

which battery charger do you use

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

which battery charger do you use

Postby 2 Busy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:49 pm

I been looking at battery charger at harbor freight and northen tool web site. Do any of yall have a favorite or one that stands above the rest? Not looking to spend over $30.00. Just a good one to use on the electrolosis(sp) tank.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: which battery charger do you use

Postby Rudi » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:45 am

2 Busy wrote:I been looking at battery charger at harbor freight and northen tool web site. Do any of yall have a favorite or one that stands above the rest? Not looking to spend over $30.00. Just a good one to use on the electrolosis(sp) tank.

2 Busy:

I posted this in answer to your previous questions in your Another electrolisis thread. I kind of hope this is what you are needing.

2 Busy:

This is what I use:

Mostly cause I use a cheap charger.. This one currently lists at $39.99 and is not on sale. Mine was on sale for $29.99 I think...

Motomaster Manual Battery Charger, 6/2A

Also, here is another related thread.. Electrolysis Before and After? and the new Where Do I find TSP in the US and What Charger to Use?. They might be of some use.

and then a bit later:

By reading your post, you have a battery inbetween the automatic charger and the tank. Ok .. that works.. as long as the battery requires a charge and that is the rub..

If you want to use the tank, and get good results quickly, invest in a CHEAP charger..

Here is one comparable to the one I use..

Century Welders Battery Charger — 2/6 Amp, 6/12 Volt and it is only $29.95US...

And it is not automatic... plug it in and forget it for awhile..

I went to Harbor Freight and searched Battery Chargers and these are what I found.

10/2/55 BATTERY CHARGER/ENGINE STARTER
Nope.. it has the automatic feature.

Chicago 6/12 VOLT BATTERY CHARGER
Nope.. it has the automatic feature.

12/24 VOLT AUTOMATIC CUT-OFF BATTERY CHARGER $39.99
12V OPTIMUM LEVEL BATTERY CHARGER $39.99
15/2/100 AMP BATTERY CHARGER $69.99

All Nope.. it has the automatic feature and are over your $30.00 limit.

And this one: 12 VOLT BATTERY CHARGER/TESTER $39.99 on sale for $29.99
Image also is automatic.

I guess the best bet will be the Northern Tool item or similar locally sourced.

Again, hope this helps...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:08 am

Thanks Rudi,

Thats why i asked if there was something to look out for(automatic).

I don't have a battery in between my charger and tank, I have 2 chargers and used 1 to charge the battery for my electric fence. But i tried each charger on the elec tank to see if it made any difference. Both of my chargers will automatically reduce charge rate.

I just didn't know what charger would be correct for this application. Didn't want to buy another charger that wouldn't work.

I tried everything to improve my amp draw but it didn't matter they both would only draw 2 amps and most of the time less.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:02 am

I use the extra charger that I got years ago at Sears. I had 2 but one was the special one that will do both 6 and 12 volts. I keep that one free so I can charge the batteries for the Cubs if I have to. Once my tank gets going it will drop to 2 amps also. But it still cleans parts with in a 24 to 48 hour period. If its taking the rust and paint off in that time frame your tank is fine.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:58 am

If you have access to a junk computer. The power supply may make a good source of DC current for your tank.

Auctions and garage sales frequently have battery chargers for a couple of bucks. Even the nonfunctional chargers can usually be easily repaired.

Eugene

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:18 am

Eugene wrote:If you have access to a junk computer. The power supply may make a good source of DC current for your tank.

Auctions and garage sales frequently have battery chargers for a couple of bucks. Even the nonfunctional chargers can usually be easily repaired.

Eugene

Eugene:

Seeing as I have like dozens of old AT power supplies.. and yes they have 12volt outputs.. but the amperage I am not sure of... might work. I have been thinking on that as a solution as well. However, one problem with junk computers.. it is usually the power supply that makes em junk :roll: :wink: :? Also, I think the computer p/s use 20ga wire????
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:50 am

Well....

To anyone who wants it.....I've a 12V power supply from an old RV...you'd need an ameter, and possibly some sort of potentiometer to reduce current flow, if it were too high......

I believe these things were capable of happily producing 40 or so amps in continuous service........

If this is useful to anyone, let me know, and it's yours...

--Tom

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:27 am

Wouldnt that kind of amparage make it clean faster? I would think that kind of power would boil the water! :shock:
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:38 am

Nik - it would clean faster but unless closely monitored, it could also cause damage to the parts being cleaned. Remember, these parts are giving up particles other than just rust.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:36 pm

This is a little off topic, but is that how they chrome stuff? Use the part to be chromed as the "collector" and then put a raw piece of chromium? in and let it transfer and plate the part?
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:39 pm

Bigdog wrote:Nik - it would clean faster but unless closely monitored, it could also cause damage to the parts being cleaned. Remember, these parts are giving up particles other than just rust.

I don't believe that is correct. The anode may continue to loose some material. But the process is basicly doing reduction on the oxides coating the parts being cleaned. If the oxides are gone, the process should essentially stop, even with voltage still applied.

I may be totally wrong.

I think I saw some instructions on using a computer power supply for this process somewhere on the web. As I recall, you have to be careful about the set-up to not blow up the power supply. Evidently they fail if powered up with no load, maybe they need a load on both the 5 and 12 volt outputs.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:57 pm

kinelbor wrote:This is a little off topic, but is that how they chrome stuff? Use the part to be chromed as the "collector" and then put a raw piece of chromium? in and let it transfer and plate the part?

I believe that the reaction you would get from a piece of "pure" chromium in a tank full of water would be interesting to say the least...... :D

A solution of chromium salts is the way it works.... The part to be chromed is the "anode".......

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:10 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:
kinelbor wrote:This is a little off topic, but is that how they chrome stuff? Use the part to be chromed as the "collector" and then put a raw piece of chromium? in and let it transfer and plate the part?

I believe that the reaction you would get from a piece of "pure" chromium in a tank full of water would be interesting to say the least...... :D

A solution of chromium salts is the way it works.... The part to be chromed is the "anode".......

My understanding is that the cathode is chromium as well. It gives up chromium ions to replace the ions in the solution that are deposited. Maybe I'll look it up. Or not.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:02 pm

The part to be plated is the cathode. The anode is the metal to be plated on the part.

Jim is also coerrect in that the process of electrolysis stops after the rust is gone.
8)

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:07 pm

George Willer wrote:
My understanding is that the cathode is chromium as well. It gives up chromium ions to replace the ions in the solution that are deposited. Maybe I'll look it up. Or not.

You may be correct, George. My experience was from Electroplating, a similar, but not identical process.

Return to “Farmall Cub”