Running a milking machine with a Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
User avatar
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Chewelah, WA

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby WaMoo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:57 pm

T-Mo wrote:Stacy,
Nice work - where's the video? I hope it's on your youtube channel. I haven't check into your channel lately, so I might have missed it if you made one.


I didn’t do a video on this. Actually, I’m restoring a late 1930’s/early 1940’s Surge vacuum pump. (Which I will do a video on) That’s why I made up the stallcock/vacuum guage/regulator rig. Putting that on the tractor was an afterthought!
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

User avatar
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16265
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:45 am
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MD, Deep Creek Lake

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:12 pm

WaMoo wrote:Surprisingly, my cows love the sound of machinery. They get all excited any time a tractor starts up!

We all respond positively to the sound of food. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Image
Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 16371
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:06 am

It would be a lot more effective if you belted the Surge pump up to the pulley attachment of the Cub rather than using vacuum from the engine.

DickB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:01 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade
Location: Berkshire hills

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby DickB » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:14 am

Yeah, Sailor, you have a point that Cub-World can solve. How about a fast-hitch setup to a tow behind mini-barn on wheels, one that Nellie goes into as would the hose from the Cub. She'll hear that Cub purr and see that barn on wheels coming her way and swagger right into it. You'll figure out the cooling of the milk if you need it, although this whole setup is too cool in itself. Oh but you're on to something big right next to Christmas. Regulators will scratch heads and sip best "Meadow Made by Cub Carers" milk they'll ever come across. Just don't tell them it is (ohh ohh) raw, straight from Nellie, milk.

BTW...if it interests you...a recent book here: "The Art of Natural Cheesemaking" by David Asher. I'd guess it will find a good reader in you. Happy Holidays! PS: our barn's hay trolley that goes outside has a wreath hanging from it...hoisted it up using the pulleys...and it's made of last year's grape vines wrapped with lights.

User avatar
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Chewelah, WA

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby WaMoo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Jim Becker wrote:It would be a lot more effective if you belted the Surge pump up to the pulley attachment of the Cub rather than using vacuum from the engine.


Probably, but I’m thinking of the Cub as a backup to the pump. I have a generator, so I’m not so much worried about power outages.

What I would like to find is a pump jack for my well I can belt drive from the Cub (I do have a flat belt pulley for my tractor) Right now, if my electric well pump goes out, I’d have to hand pump or hope the wind is blowing!
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

User avatar
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Chewelah, WA

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby WaMoo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:58 pm

DickB wrote:Yeah, Sailor, you have a point that Cub-World can solve. How about a fast-hitch setup to a tow behind mini-barn on wheels, one that Nellie goes into as would the hose from the Cub. She'll hear that Cub purr and see that barn on wheels coming her way and swagger right into it. You'll figure out the cooling of the milk if you need it, although this whole setup is too cool in itself. Oh but you're on to something big right next to Christmas. Regulators will scratch heads and sip best "Meadow Made by Cub Carers" milk they'll ever come across. Just don't tell them it is (ohh ohh) raw, straight from Nellie, milk.

BTW...if it interests you...a recent book here: "The Art of Natural Cheesemaking" by David Asher. I'd guess it will find a good reader in you. Happy Holidays! PS: our barn's hay trolley that goes outside has a wreath hanging from it...hoisted it up using the pulleys...and it's made of last year's grape vines wrapped with lights.


Not a sailor anymore... retired 9 days ago!

Believe it or not, there are mobile milking parlors that can be towed out into the field. Not sure the Cub’s brakes are up to the task!

We put a big star we made with Christmas lights on the back of the barn. You can see it way down the valley! Looks great! Haven’t installed the trolley yet. We’re waiting on some beams a friend is milling. As long as it’s done before haying season!

I have indeed seen that book! Own it in fact! Overall a good book, and some good ideas, but I do find the author to be condescending towards other methods I have no issue with.
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

DickB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 484
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:01 am
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade
Location: Berkshire hills

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby DickB » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:08 am

Ishmael returns to the farm! Congratulations on retirement. Hope they didn't take you out one last time to crash, wallow, and get wet in those 40' waves you've got out there, or that they didn't dunk you. So, on to farming, Cub stuff, ... all that.

FIRSTCUB
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 am
Zip Code: 29651

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby FIRSTCUB » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Cool info !

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:09 pm
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby BullDAWG » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:19 pm

WaMoo wrote:I’m not sure the Washington State Department of Agriculture would look to kindly to me milking out in a field! It would be a sight I would like to see though! Maybe I’ll stage it someday!

Surprisingly, my cows love the sound of machinery. They get all excited any time a tractor starts up!


I can't believe here in MS the FDA said, I can't sell raw milk as human food, but can call it "Dog food" and what you do with it is your business. But the same FDA says crude oil can be made into food and thats ok?!?!?!? My cows also luv hearing equipment running, but its usually they think I'm bring them food or a treat. They follow me like a puppy dawg LOL.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:17 pm
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Hunterdon County N.J.

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby welderrx » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:38 pm

I do miss the herd the Old Man took the Dairy Buyout around 88 or so and the fields all went down hill within a couple years . The cows kept the fence lines clean and the hedgerows stayed where they were, the fields were constantly rotated to grow food for the cows. The fields have been hayed since then and , but the pastures that flood sometimes have been let go and are covered in multiflora rose now and scrub cedars are starting to root. I'm glad he's not around to see all his and his father before hims' hard work going to the weeds. TJ
52 Cub with fast hitch, 68 Cub Lo-Boy with C-3 Deck, 66 Cub Cadet 125, various fh attachments, pto sprayer, snow-dozer blade and Wagner loader,100 Manure Spreader Circle of Safety

User avatar
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Chewelah, WA

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby WaMoo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:37 pm

Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote:
WaMoo wrote:I’m not sure the Washington State Department of Agriculture would look to kindly to me milking out in a field! It would be a sight I would like to see though! Maybe I’ll stage it someday!

Surprisingly, my cows love the sound of machinery. They get all excited any time a tractor starts up!


I can't believe here in MS the FDA said, I can't sell raw milk as human food, but can call it "Dog food" and what you do with it is your business. But the same FDA says crude oil can be made into food and thats ok?!?!?!? My cows also luv hearing equipment running, but its usually they think I'm bring them food or a treat. They follow me like a puppy dawg LOL.


Raw milk sales are all regulated by the states. The federal government just says it can’t cross state lines. Here in Washington State, raw milk sales are legal. You can find it on the shelf in the grocery store. The fact of the matter is, raw milk is bought and sold everywhere. In Washington, I believe they made it legal so then they could regulate it. We plan to vat pasteurize, but I support the right for people to buy raw milk if they like.
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

User avatar
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Chewelah, WA

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby WaMoo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:40 pm

welderrx wrote:I do miss the herd the Old Man took the Dairy Buyout around 88 or so and the fields all went down hill within a couple years . The cows kept the fence lines clean and the hedgerows stayed where they were, the fields were constantly rotated to grow food for the cows. The fields have been hayed since then and , but the pastures that flood sometimes have been let go and are covered in multiflora rose now and scrub cedars are starting to root. I'm glad he's not around to see all his and his father before hims' hard work going to the weeds. TJ


Yeah, I feel the buyout in the 80’s was the beginning of the end of small family dairy farms. I feel that in the future, you’ll only have two types of dairies. Giant ones producing a commodity, and tiny ones like us who will process their own and create a value-added product.

Managed correctly, nothing can improve a pasture faster or better than a cow.
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

User avatar
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Chewelah, WA

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby WaMoo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:44 pm

As I continue to work on my old Surge vacuum pump, and film it for a future YouTube video, I think more and more about setting the Cub back up and getting some footage of that to include it.

I’m waiting for some parts, but I did get the pump painted. Really pleased with the shade of blue I selected.

3AE944DE-C42E-4133-A3A7-961EA672F8BB.jpeg
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

User avatar
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:46 pm
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Chewelah, WA

Running a milking machine with a Cub w/VIDEO

Postby WaMoo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 am

Yup. Decided to make a video about it! A little trial and error, but I think I figured it out!

https://youtu.be/kWZoNY98OMI
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

User avatar
dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:05 pm
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OH, Trenton

Re: Running a milking machine with a Cub

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 am

Nice video and a beautiful setting!

Thanks for sharing,
David


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests