Spray rig I made under $100

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ol Timey Farming LLC
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 39465

Spray rig I made under $100

Postby Ol Timey Farming LLC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:17 pm

I was given an old 40 gallon spray rig that my neighbor thought was broken. He said I could have it as he replaced the electric pump after the original one burnt up. But he didn't install the new one correctly (intake hose wasn't tight so it sucked air and wasn't building pressure well). So he said I could have it if I could fix it. Well after finding the problem (tightened all fittings/hoses) it worked. Next was to make something to carry it behind my tractor and spray crops with (added a boomless sprayer nozzel, 20' spray). I have 4' wide beds, both my cub and SA have over 4' space between tires and over 14" of crop clearance SO I had to make sure my trailer could also do the same. It has almost 15" clearance and tires are over 4'3" apart. Here are my original plans and actual finished rig. Though it will be spring before I can test it by fire. But initial hand pulling and test showed it should work fine. (Note, I added extra caster wheels after thinking about having close to 400 lbs. on only 2-10" caster wheels) So I made duals to help keep it floating on soil.
trailer2.jpg

trailer3.jpg

trailer4.jpg

Had some IH implement blue paint I threw on just to see how it would look
trailer5.jpg

I bought the wheels from Harbor Freight (10") for $3.99 ea (x4)
Bought 4 treated 2x4x8' about $5 ea and 1 treated 1x6x10', 5/8 all-thread (axles) and 8 washers, 6 lock-nuts and 2 regular 5/8 nuts all for around $20) from Lowe's (call around you may find it cheaper)
The boomless sprayer nozzle was $25 at a local feed store.

I plan on using this sprayer to spray my crops with Suma-Grow (has beneficial microbes and humic acid)(helps soil) and compost tea (put about 1 gallon of compost in an old pillow case and steep in water for 48 hrs, I also add a fish tank air bubbler to help the good microbes to multiply-they need air to flurish) I put this pillow case in a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water. After 2 days (48 hrs) I then add this water to my sprayer and add the suma-grow and fill the rest with water. I spray about 40 gallons to the acre. I also let the used compost dry some and add it as a side dressing to any stressed plants. Hope this gives some here some ideas and helped someone...

Chris, Ol Timey Farming....

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Spray rig I made under $100

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:41 pm

Looks good, Chris. Ought to work out well for ya!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Shane N.
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1975 International Cub
1970 International 140 (Norman)
1972 International 140 (Keeferdoodle)
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Sold Cubs..
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1950 Cub (piece of junk)
1952 Cub

Postby Shane N. » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Stanton wrote:Looks good, Chris. Ought to work out well for ya!

I'll second this!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:11 pm

:big afro: That's the way to "get'r done"!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Clemsonfor
Zip Code: 29848

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote:I was given an old 40 gallon spray rig that my neighbor thought was broken. He said I could have it as he replaced the electric pump after the original one burnt up. But he didn't install the new one correctly (intake hose wasn't tight so it sucked air and wasn't building pressure well). So he said I could have it if I could fix it. Well after finding the problem (tightened all fittings/hoses) it worked. Next was to make something to carry it behind my tractor and spray crops with (added a boomless sprayer nozzel, 20' spray). I have 4' wide beds, both my cub and SA have over 4' space between tires and over 14" of crop clearance SO I had to make sure my trailer could also do the same. It has almost 15" clearance and tires are over 4'3" apart. Here are my original plans and actual finished rig. Though it will be spring before I can test it by fire. But initial hand pulling and test showed it should work fine. (Note, I added extra caster wheels after thinking about having close to 400 lbs. on only 2-10" caster wheels) So I made duals to help keep it floating on soil.
trailer2.jpg
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg
Had some IH implement blue paint I threw on just to see how it would look
trailer5.jpg

I bought the wheels from Harbor Freight (10") for $3.99 ea (x4)
Bought 4 treated 2x4x8' about $5 ea and 1 treated 1x6x10', 5/8 all-thread (axles) and 8 washers, 6 lock-nuts and 2 regular 5/8 nuts all for around $20) from Lowe's (call around you may find it cheaper)
The boomless sprayer nozzle was $25 at a local feed store.

I plan on using this sprayer to spray my crops with Suma-Grow (has beneficial microbes and humic acid)(helps soil) and compost tea (put about 1 gallon of compost in an old pillow case and steep in water for 48 hrs, I also add a fish tank air bubbler to help the good microbes to multiply-they need air to flurish) I put this pillow case in a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water. After 2 days (48 hrs) I then add this water to my sprayer and add the suma-grow and fill the rest with water. I spray about 40 gallons to the acre. I also let the used compost dry some and add it as a side dressing to any stressed plants. Hope this gives some here some ideas and helped someone...

Chris, Ol Timey Farming....

I would think that thing would get destroyed with a few short uses...that frame is made of wood!!

For about $60 on sale I think it was I bought a 24 gallon boomless spray unit new. And you don't have the fabrication time involved. But I do think it's good to make stuff out of thrown away or unused stuff.

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby welderrx » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:56 am

I like it , I have used more of those wheels than I can count at this point, only bad thing is they stink something terrible when they are new, don't leave them in the cab of the pickup like I did, it smells like a skunk mixed with burning rubber! TJ
52 Cub with fast hitch, 64 Cub Lo-Boy, 66 Cub Cadet 125, various fh attachments, pto sprayer, snow-dozer blade and Wagner loader,100 Manure Spreader

Ol Timey Farming LLC
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Ol Timey Farming LLC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:
I would think that thing would get destroyed with a few short uses...that frame is made of wood!!

For about $60 on sale I think it was I bought a 24 gallon boomless spray unit new. And you don't have the fabrication time involved. But I do think it's good to make stuff out of thrown away or unused stuff.

If it does then I'll build a metal frame to hold the tank. But that 24 gallon rig you have can't fit over crops, I know it wouldn't clear 15" like mine. It also probably (need pictures to know for sure) but probably doesn't have over 4' wide axle to clear my 4' wide beds either. So its good for your use but to put fertilizer and humic acid along with beneficial microbes on the crops I need the trailer to be wide AND tall. 40 gallons of water is 340 lbs, even with fert and weight of trailer I'm sure it weighs under 450 lbs. Treated 2x4's hold up your house and carry over 450 lbs loads so I think as long as I don't sink the wheels in wet loose ground and still pull hard it should last. There are wagons from the 1800's that are still used today that carried way heavier loads and lasted hundreds of years. If this lasts just a few seasons and makes more crops it did its job. But I did also say I'll see this spring 'IF" it will work like I think (tested by fire). I'll test it under harsh conditions then and will see if it works as planned. You may be right BUT I think it should last being treated and I added extra cross supports and used good screw fasteners instead of nails. This will also allow me to easily remove a board and just re-screw in a new one IF something does break. But lets hope it doesn't for quite some time. I'll re-post after spring and show the good, bad n ugly sides this spring.

nomad
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06443

Postby nomad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:55 pm

1 thumb up for the innovation and 2 thumbs up for spraying organic compost tea! :beer:

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Chris

I like how it is as wide as the Cub so you can trail in the tractor's tracks. Will be looking to do something similar so this is good to see. Will have to check out harbor freight to look at wheels, never been to one and there is one maybe 15 miles away. Good tip. And will check out "Suma Grow". Thank you for posting your plans & ideas and sharing your cost breakdown. Let's see it working in the spring!!!

Chris

Clemsonfor
Zip Code: 29848

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:14 am

Ol Timey Farming LLC wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:

If it does then I'll build a metal frame to hold the tank. But that 24 gallon rig you have can't fit over crops, I know it wouldn't clear 15" like mine. It also probably (need pictures to know for sure) but probably doesn't have over 4' wide axle to clear my 4' wide beds either. So its good for your use but to put fertilizer and humic acid along with beneficial microbes on the crops I need the trailer to be wide AND tall. 40 gallons of water is 340 lbs, even with fert and weight of trailer I'm sure it weighs under 450 lbs. Treated 2x4's hold up your house and carry over 450 lbs loads so I think as long as I don't sink the wheels in wet loose ground and still pull hard it should last. There are wagons from the 1800's that are still used today that carried way heavier loads and lasted hundreds of years. If this lasts just a few seasons and makes more crops it did its job. But I did also say I'll see this spring 'IF" it will work like I think (tested by fire). I'll test it under harsh conditions then and will see if it works as planned. You may be right BUT I think it should last being treated and I added extra cross supports and used good screw fasteners instead of nails. This will also allow me to easily remove a board and just re-screw in a new one IF something does break. But lets hope it doesn't for quite some time. I'll re-post after spring and show the good, bad n ugly sides this spring.

Your right my rig won't clear 15" crops. But that's only because it's mounted on my ATV. Build a little platform on the back of the Cub maybe a rear lift carryall like three point tractors can attach and mount it there and wherever the tractor goes so does the sprayer.

And I agree wood is strong. Very strong. I just was looking at the weight of the water and possibly twisting forces that would be exerted being pulled off road on that system is why I say it might not hold up.

Ol Timey Farming LLC
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Ol Timey Farming LLC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am

Clemsonfor wrote:
Your right my rig won't clear 15" crops. But that's only because it's mounted on my ATV. Build a little platform on the back of the Cub maybe a rear lift carryall like three point tractors can attach and mount it there and wherever the tractor goes so does the sprayer.

And I agree wood is strong. Very strong. I just was looking at the weight of the water and possibly twisting forces that would be exerted being pulled off road on that system is why I say it might not hold up.

I originally had just a platform that was held onto drawbar (My cubs and Super A don't have 3 point OR 1 point hitches). The drawbar plan didn't work well as it couldn't be centered as the tank then hits the PTO and pulley. Because of the offset I would have had to make it permanent not just an add on implement because the offset put over 80% of the weight over a foot off center of the drawbar (not including sloshing forces when stopping or going). BUT I need the drawbars for other implements like my manure spreader, my cub 1 bottom wing plow, my 2 row pull type disk harrow, my A-295 2 bottom wing super chief plow, my tooth harrow and my modified bush-hog that mounts on drawbar (6' on the SA-and its all it can handle). I also agree with you that it can't go fast nor in really bad areas. The reason I put duals on it was in hope that those small tires don't sink (better flotation) in soft ground and the single tires try acting like a chisel plow LOL. I looked at other wheels BUT true flotation tires and rims (not even counting axles for them) cost hundreds of dollars. So I'm seeing if this will work. It may be great, or it may be a failure. I'll post either conclusion and what I plan next IF plan "B" (plan "A" was the drawbar idea) doesn't work.

Nelson 634
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 am

If the high clearance cart doesn't work out. How about something mounted to the front. Maybe from the front bolster where the snow blade would attach and reaching forward attaching under or over front axle. Could be wood or metal angle iron. You would be able to keep an eye on everything. Only drawback I see could possible be the weight. Just a couple of thoughts. Maybe plan C? Good luck. Walter

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:05 am

I love the creativity! Solving the challenges presented with what is available.
Can't wait to see it spraying in the spring!
In the meantime, tell or show us how you are powering this rig. (12v Tractor, Pony Battery, Remote switch)

On my spray rig, I used a cigarette lighter socket so that if the rig came unhooked from the tractor, the wiring would just pull out without damaging anything. Over time, the socket has rusted a bit and is a little fussy, but does do the job needed. I added a switch on the dashboard to turn on and off the cigarette lighter. I see that Countryline now has a key fob remote to turn on and off sprayers. (found at TSC) wish I had used that instead of the switch.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade