This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Stopped Running

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Stopped Running

Postby Peter Person » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:19 am

Looking for confirmation or other possibilities as to why my 1957 Cub ran fine, died, ran fine this morning plowing the 3" of heavy wet snow we got.
I'm suspecting either the needle stuck for a few minutes or a piece of debris was blocking something. The carb last had a thorough cleaning 6-8 years ago.
Coil was cool to the touch.

I was plowing for about 15 minutes when it just quit running. Tried restarting but no luck. Let it set for about 5 minutes and it started right up without any choke. Ran fine for another 2 hours.

Thanks,
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Re: Cub Stopped Running

Postby Slim140 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am

I'm guessing the float got stuck or you had a blockage of fuel that passed. Look in the tank and make sure nothing is on the bottom swimming around that could cover the hole.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:05 pm

My 65 did something similar...a light shot of air backwards through the fuel line dislodged whatever was restricting the fuel. Been good for the last 2 weekends of leaf mowing.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Icing?
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

lowgearfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03227
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'83 Kubota B7100

Postby lowgearfarm » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:39 am

I concur with the "icing" guess. My '49 was doing the same thing last week ie: running fine, then sudden shut-down suggesting "out of fuel", then started up and ran fine. Repeated 3 or 4 times in an hour. Air temp was 17F, suspicious signs of frost around the gas line shut-off valve. Note: I was running aviation fuel that had been in the tank for 3 months. I topped up the tank before putting it away.
Yesterday, I went out plowing again, temp at 29F, fully expected a stalling or two, but never happened! (Life is good - sometimes) Now I'm wondering if I should try a little "dry gas" in the aviation fuel (for the Cub only). I buy the aviation fuel for the little engines (chainsaws, splitter, etc.) that sit for months.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for all the input.
Just finished plowing 10" of 3-5" of additional accumulation :lol:
No issues today at all, other than I still need to put my chains on.

I don't think it was icing as temps were in the 28-36 degree range.
I'll go with something in the fuel that blocked a jet or caused the needle to stick.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Peter Person wrote:Thanks for all the input.

I don't think it was icing as temps were in the 28-36 degree range.

Peter

Carb icing can occur at temps higher than 36 degrees. Incoming air is compressed going through the venturi producing heat and then expanding causing it to cool, along with gas vaporizing causing more chilling. So on a humid day, temp about 35, moisture in the air condenses and can cause frost and blocking incoming air.
Last edited by tnestell on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:33 pm

tnestell wrote:
Carb icing can occur at temps higher than 36 degrees. Incoming air is compressed going through the venturi producing heat and then expanding causing it to cool, along with gas vaporizing causing more chilling. So on a humid day, temp about 35, moisture in the air condenses can and can cause frost and blocking incoming air.

I wondered about this possibility, too.
On hot, humid days, I’ve seen how the carb can get cold enough to condense water out of the air. If the carb can be 20-30 degrees cooler than ambient when it’s 95 outside, it seems reasonable it might be 5-10 degrees cooler when it’s 35. Could be enough to freeze up any moisture in the incoming fuel or air.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

I was surprised once after taking a visual of a main jet before running a wire in it on a winter fuel starvation...It looked clear.
And when wired , a broken rim/rind of ice came out. Thought it was varnish at first ,till it faded quickly in my fingers....L.o.l..

lowgearfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
'83 Kubota B7100

Postby lowgearfarm » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:45 am

Been plowing snow for the past few days. The air has been moist and the temps around freezing. The '49 Cub (w/ IH carb) runs fine until it quits - presumably from icing. Put a hair dryer to the carb and that brought the engine back to life for the rest of the morning. For a while I assumed the problem was gas line freeze (see photo) and planned to add dry gas to the aviation fuel. But then I wondered if the carb freezing it might be from the air intake. I'm reminded of auto engine ducts that take hot air from outside the exhaust manifold and channel the warm air to the air cleaner to mix with outside air. But before I add dry gas or try to rig-up a hot air duct, I wonder if this group had opinion as to 1) whether the icing is fuel or air related (or both), and 2) whether there are any home-grown fixes I haven't thought of? And 3) why moisture is icing around the joint of the fuel shut-off? Thanks.
~Ned
Attachments
frostyshutoff2.jpg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 am

The Cub's primitive crankcase ventilation system moves fumes from the crankcase to the air cleaner by way of a steel tube attached to both. The tube gets obstructed by combustion products over time. It is possible that clearing that tube and it's adjacent fittings may solve your problem. Don't have an explanation for the icing on the fuel shutoff.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

lowgearfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
'83 Kubota B7100

Postby lowgearfarm » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Don, Thanks for your suggestion. I wasn't aware of the crankcase vent tube. I'll go take it off after lunch and clean as necessary - assuming I don't have to lift the hood or split the tractor to get at it :-)
~Ned

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:52 pm

You can try, but that may be an issue. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby indy61 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:05 pm

lowgearfarm wrote:why moisture is icing around the joint of the fuel shut-off? Thanks.
~Ned

I would guess the little plastic shut off valve is sucking air at high rpm's. It probably leaks but evaporates faster than you can notice.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:19 pm

My first 154 did that it would stall, wait five minutes she’d fire up and finish mowing, after a few times she finally wouldn’t start, I pulled the hose off the carb to find no gas flow, even with the valve on no gas. I opened the gas cap and blew into the fuel hose as hard as I could, I heard a big pop in the gas tank. There was a clog above the fuel valve assembly. She’s been running ever since. It’s a 154 but we all have the same fuel valves.

After being a car mechanic and working in gas stations and dealerships the people let the level of gas go low in the wintertime. This causes moisture to form more in the gas tanks. The weather change from warmer to colder causes moisture to form. Day by day our temps change. I tell everyone to top off there gas tanks and add gas line anti freeze in the winter time. Years ago we had a lot of people with frozen gas lines.

Note, never buy gas when the delivery truck is there dropping off gas. It stirs up the water in the bottom of the tank. We stick the tanks for water before the drop. A small amount is allowed. But the drop can stir up what little there is.

My equipment gets seafoam and a little dry gas..
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”