Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EdinCincinnati
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:03 am
Zip Code: 45174
Tractors Owned: International Cub LoBoy 1954
Location: Cincinnati Area

Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby EdinCincinnati » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:41 pm

I have a 1954 or 55 International Cub LoBoy and it is garage kept and I crank it a few times a year. It has a belly mower and a touch control but I have been having to add hydraulic fluid lately to get the mower to raise to drive the tractor around but I have noticed that there is not an equal amount of fluid dripped onto the shop floor as to what I fill the touch control with. When I cranked it last week, motor oil looking fluid came bubbling up out of the filler stick but its consistency looked more of hydraulic fluid.

Is it possible for hydraulic fluid to get from its pump through the engine into the oil pan?

Any suggestions on how to determine and what possibly needs to be fixed?

Ed in Cincinnati

User avatar
Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 4059
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 am
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: NC, Chapel Hill

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:49 pm

Chances are good that the shaft seal on your hydraulic pump is leaking, allowing fluid to go into the engine oil pan.

It will require removal of the pump (left front side of the engine). Their is a procedure in the HOW TO section that explains it.
Last edited by Dale Finch on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 8507
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:50 am
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OH, Madison

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 pm

You betcha. Hydraulic fluid is leaking into the crankcase from the hydraulic pump. Normally an easy fix. Check the How To Forum for excellent posts on the step-by-step procedure.

Bill

Dale type faster than I do. :)
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Image
Member of Ohio Chapter #6

EdinCincinnati
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:03 am
Zip Code: 45174
Tractors Owned: International Cub LoBoy 1954
Location: Cincinnati Area

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby EdinCincinnati » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Thank you both!!! Will start investigating and report back findings.

User avatar
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 8507
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:50 am
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OH, Madison

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 pm

EdinCincinnati wrote:Thank you both!!! Will start investigating and report back findings.


You're in the Cincinnati area and near experienced people, should you need help. Keep us informed.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Image
Member of Ohio Chapter #6

User avatar
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 21859
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:39 pm
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OH, New Haven (Hamilton County)

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Hey Ed, long time no see. If you don't get it fixed before June, you can bring it to my CubFest the weekend after Memorial Day.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

User avatar
ShawnAgne
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 5:13 pm
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Versailles, Ohio

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby ShawnAgne » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Yup happened to me once, twice,ok a bunch......

Easiest way to check is like Boss Hog told me, start the tractor and run the touch control back and forth for about a half hour. If its leaking it won't take that long. Also mark your oil level before you start and then after.
Shawn Agne

User avatar
Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 3603
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Wa.

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby Glen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi,
TM Tractor has a rebuild kit for the pump.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/288fp.htm

2 of the 4 bolts in the pump hold the pump on the engine. Looking forward from the rear, they are the upper left, and the lower right bolts. Don't remove the other 2 bolts before getting the pump to a clean work bench, it can fall apart. You can loosen them while it is on the engine.

The lock washer holding the nut on at the pump gear has to be good, to keep the nut from coming off during use. It bends over 1 flat of the nut. You have to bend the lock washer away from the nut to remove the nut. If the lock washer is still good, you can use it again.

Below is a new lock washer at TM Tractor, you can see what it looks like.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/562fp.htm

The pump shaft where the o ring runs has to be flat and in good condition. Sometimes the shaft wears, and there is a groove. If there is a groove, it needs repair. It may need smoothing with fine sandpaper.

Use plenty of clean Hy-Tran fluid when putting the pump together.

Below are pages from the 1955 Cub owner's manual, showing the parts of the system, and how to check or change the fluid. Be sure to do what it says on the 3rd page, in paragraph 4, to remove the air from the system. The arms should go through their full travel.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-65.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-66.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-67.jpg

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the pump gear, nut, and the lock washer. :)
Attachments
Cub T C pump.jpg

EdinCincinnati
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:03 am
Zip Code: 45174
Tractors Owned: International Cub LoBoy 1954
Location: Cincinnati Area

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby EdinCincinnati » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 am

Barnyard wrote:Hey Ed, long time no see. If you don't get it fixed before June, you can bring it to my CubFest the weekend after Memorial Day.


Hey Barnyard!...hopefully I can fix it prior to Memorial cause I usually drive it in our local parade...but I have put your Barnyard Bash on my calendar!

-Ed

EdinCincinnati
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:03 am
Zip Code: 45174
Tractors Owned: International Cub LoBoy 1954
Location: Cincinnati Area

Re: Is it possible for Hydraulic Fluid to get into engine oil?

Postby EdinCincinnati » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
TM Tractor has a rebuild kit for the pump.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/288fp.htm

2 of the 4 bolts in the pump hold the pump on the engine. Looking forward from the rear, they are the upper left, and the lower right bolts. Don't remove the other 2 bolts before getting the pump to a clean work bench, it can fall apart. You can loosen them while it is on the engine.

The lock washer holding the nut on at the pump gear has to be good, to keep the nut from coming off during use. It bends over 1 flat of the nut. You have to bend the lock washer away from the nut to remove the nut. If the lock washer is still good, you can use it again.

Below is a new lock washer at TM Tractor, you can see what it looks like.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/562fp.htm

The pump shaft where the o ring runs has to be flat and in good condition. Sometimes the shaft wears, and there is a groove. If there is a groove, it needs repair. It may need smoothing with fine sandpaper.

Use plenty of clean Hy-Tran fluid when putting the pump together.

Below are pages from the 1955 Cub owner's manual, showing the parts of the system, and how to check or change the fluid. Be sure to do what it says on the 3rd page, in paragraph 4, to remove the air from the system. The arms should go through their full travel.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-65.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-66.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-67.jpg

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the pump gear, nut, and the lock washer. :)


THANK YOU for Providing this info!!!!!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: john2189, Rick Prentice and 4 guests