A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
User avatar
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
Location: Farmingdale NJ

A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:14 am

I plan to make up a couple snow extensions for my Cub 54 blades and my A-60 and 1A-60 blades.
I know the dimensions of the Cub 54 blade as I have 2 examples to copy from but not for the 60” blades. Obviously it’s 60” wide but I don’t know how tall. I know it’s taller than the 54 blades extension and while the Cubs extension is flat the A-60 extension is curved like it’s blade.
Anyone know it’s height or is able to put a tape measure to the back of it?
As for the curve In the blade I’ve got an idea for that.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA

User avatar
PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:55 pm
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Effort, PA

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:31 am

Lt.Mike wrote:I plan to make up a couple snow extensions for my Cub 54 blades and my A-60 and 1A-60 blades.
I know the dimensions of the Cub 54 blade as I have 2 examples to copy from but not for the 60” blades. Obviously it’s 60” wide but I don’t know how tall. I know it’s taller than the 54 blades extension and while the Cubs extension is flat the A-60 extension is curved like it’s blade.
Anyone know it’s height or is able to put a tape measure to the back of it?
As for the curve In the blade I’ve got an idea for that.
Mike


Mike, did you ever get the measurements that you needed for the A-60 extention?
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

User avatar
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
Location: Farmingdale NJ

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Yes and no. There are no written dimensions to be found, anywhere. I couldn’t find anyone that had an original factory piece to measure either.
So this is what I came up with, we know the widths of the Cub 54(“) and A60(“) blades so that’s a no brainer. I blew up and measured a factory photo of the blade with the extension mounted. It was approximately half the blades height. Measuring the the cub blade I have and it’s extension confirmed those proportions.
The Cub blade is a tad over 13” and the extension is 6”, roughly half its height.
That extension of course overlaps and increases it’s overall height by about 5”.
The A60 blade is 16” high so going by the Cub54 example and the factory photo I believe it’s safe to assume the A60 snow extension is 8” and when mounted increases its height by 7”.
One thing though, the Cub54 extension does not follow the curve of the blade being flat but the A60’s extension clearly does.
I have a plan for this. ;)
After I cut a 60x8” piece of stock I will lay it in an extra cub blade I have using the blade as a form and put my new 20 ton press to work.
The extension is approximately half the thickness of the Cub blade plus the Cub blade has those curved brackets on the backside giving it support.
Keep in mind if I build one I’ll make a few more up and make them available.
The square holes could be a problem but if it’s mounted to the back of the blade it won’t be an issue.
Wish me luck.
:hattip:
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 15107
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Seeing this thread come up again, prompted me to see if i could find something. I don't know if I got this brochure since November or if I just didn't think of it as a possible source. In any case, it says:

Cub-54 snow extension: 54x6x3/16 inches, 18 pounds.
A-60 snow extension: 60x9x3/16 inches, 29 pounds.

Nothing indicates how much the Cub or Super-A extensions overlap with the blade when installed. For the C-72 blade, the extension is 10 inches tall and adds 8 inches to the height of the blade.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 10136
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 8:02 pm
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: CO, Longmont

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:The square holes could be a problem but if it’s mounted to the back of the blade it won’t be an issue.

I initially squared holes with a triangular file, then bought a square file that made it real easy to put square corners on a round hole.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

jpc0403
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:50 am
Zip Code: 04002
Tractors Owned: Farmall M
Farmall Super C
Farmall Super a
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Alfred, Maine

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby jpc0403 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Mike, I just measured the extension on my a-60 blade, it's 9"

User avatar
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
Location: Farmingdale NJ

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:12 pm

jpc0403 wrote:Mike, I just measured the extension on my a-60 blade, it's 9"

Oh ok thanks.
To confirm the other part, it is curved right?
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA

User avatar
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
Location: Farmingdale NJ

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote:The square holes could be a problem but if it’s mounted to the back of the blade it won’t be an issue.

I initially squared holes with a triangular file, then bought a square file that made it real easy to put square corners on a round hole.

Is that a quick job or one that becomes a marathon?
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA

User avatar
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Posts: 3989
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:27 pm
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: CT, Stafford Springs

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Peter Person » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:
Bob McCarty wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote:The square holes could be a problem but if it’s mounted to the back of the blade it won’t be an issue.

I initially squared holes with a triangular file, then bought a square file that made it real easy to put square corners on a round hole.

Is that a quick job or one that becomes a marathon?


Pick up an Air File at Harbor Freight for $18
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-file-1704.html

Image
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Image

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 10136
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 8:02 pm
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: CO, Longmont

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:59 pm

Filing 5 holes probably took about 10 minutes.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
Location: Farmingdale NJ

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:24 am

Bob McCarty wrote:Filing 5 holes probably took about 10 minutes.

That’s not bad at all.
I tend to forget that the metal used is not hardened and is relatively soft.
Peter thanks. Didn’t know that existed but considering where it’s from not surprised.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA

jpc0403
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:50 am
Zip Code: 04002
Tractors Owned: Farmall M
Farmall Super C
Farmall Super a
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Alfred, Maine

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby jpc0403 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:13 am

Lt.Mike wrote:
jpc0403 wrote:Mike, I just measured the extension on my a-60 blade, it's 9"

Oh ok thanks.
To confirm the other part, it is curved right?

Yes it is curved and over laps the blade 2.5" it is mounted on the back of the blade,

User avatar
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
Location: Farmingdale NJ

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:23 am

jpc0403 wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote:
jpc0403 wrote:Mike, I just measured the extension on my a-60 blade, it's 9"

Oh ok thanks.
To confirm the other part, it is curved right?

Yes it is curved and over laps the blade 2.5" it is mounted on the back of the blade,

Thank you !
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA

User avatar
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Posts: 3989
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:27 pm
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: CT, Stafford Springs

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Peter Person » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 am

Lt.Mike wrote:
Bob McCarty wrote:Filing 5 holes probably took about 10 minutes.

That’s not bad at all.
I tend to forget that the metal used is not hardened and is relatively soft.
Peter thanks. Didn’t know that existed but considering where it’s from not surprised.


Mike,
You could spend a whole lot more if you want.
$178.00 will get you this;
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/pneumatics/air-tools/air-hammers/reciprocating-file?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Kfnl_GX6AIVh5-zCh2rNw-YEAQYAiABEgIJ8fD_BwE
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Image

Circle of Safety

User avatar
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
Location: Farmingdale NJ

Re: A-60 grader blade snow extensions.

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:46 pm

I didn’t mean to say they were junk, just what don’t they have ?
I’m bound to buy one. I have a bunch of their stuff. They’re needle scaler is pretty good. I have both sizes and I can say don’t buy the smaller one as the large one is much better. I’m on my second one but for what I paid and the work it’s done I’m ok with it.
Can’t wait to put the 20 ton shop press I got from them to work.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

1958 Cub Lo-Boy
1952 Farmall Cub, Paula's Cub
1952 Farmall Cub (#2)
1946 International IA (Lil’Mule)
1946 International IA (#2)
1953 Farmall SA


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: viking72 and 1 guest