This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Coil issue?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Coil issue?

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:18 am

Last couple times I’ve worked my A I’ve had problems with a restart when hot. It starts up fine when cold but after about 30 minutes of running it may refuse to start. It’s gets spark from the mag to the cap but it’s an orange spark. It has to sit a long time before it wants to start again then when it does it’s like it never had an issue. The tractor has a 12 volt alternator but that just involves the starter and lights.
I’m thinking the magnetos coil is failing but I just hate to fix things by swapping parts till I hit it. Is there a reliable way to test the coil against a multimeter? Either way I’m going to do a full tuneup on it.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Coil issue?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 am

Most likely it is the coil as you are suspecting, however, the condenser can cause that too. Even ith good test equipment it is difficult to tell the difference. Check the points first, if any question at all, change them and the condenser. That will leave the coil as the next suspect.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Re: Coil issue?

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Generally the whole tune up kit, points, condenser, cap, wires, and plugs cost about the same a just the price for the mag coil.
I’ll do that first before I buy the coil.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”