This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall DED-3

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Darryl Ovens
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Farmall DED-3

Postby Darryl Ovens » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi All,

I've just bought an IH McCormick Farmall DED-3.
From what I've seen so far they appear not to be that common, Even though Dad had one on the farm when I was a kid.
Seems they were built in Germany from 1953 to 1956 with serial numbers NT60001 to NT68650 and 8652 made (which makes me wonder what numbers the last few had?).

They have a precombustion chamber diesel, three cylinder engine, 1631 cc, 20 PS (hp).
And were unusual as they can push down as well as lift on the three point linkage.
I'm curious as to how many came to NZ, and how many are left?

Plus I'm looking for instruction and service/repair/overhaul manual(s), as I have a few questions about it.
1/ It seems to have a what looks like an unpressurised thermosiphon type radiator, but it has a water pump.
2/ I have yet to find a thermostat, but it does have a radiator blind.
3/ The temperature gauge sender appears to be mounted in the radiator bottom tank near the outlet hose.
4/ The starting glow plugs are connected in series along with the dashboard "indicator" glow "plug", the usual now is to have them in parallel.
5/ There is another big heavy resister coil in the dashboard that looks original but is not currently connected to anything.

Currently I'm guessing that maybe the heavy resister should also be in series with the starting heaters and makes up for the lack of the fourth cylinder heater. It did seem to heat up rather fast! Although to date I've only started it twice.

Maybe the temperature sender is at the bottom of the radiator as not having a thermostat you have to manually regulate the engine temperature with the blind and the water temperature at the bottom is a better indication if you need to adjust it. Top of the engine or radiator is likely to always be near 100 deg C once warmed up.

6/ There appeared to be a small (1/16" pipe fittings!), pipe between the top of the head and the top of the top radiator tank.

This appears to be a bleed pipe to let air out of the top of the head and perhaps prevent air bubbles in the head that would cause hot spots, or the air going into the water pump (mounted on the front end of the head), and causing it to loose it's prime?

I would also be interested to see a wiring diagram, as its wiring has been hashed a few times, and to see how close I am in my assumptions.

Cheers
Darryl

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Farmall DED-3

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:16 am

I am afraid I cannot help you much, except that when we say thermosyphon, we are referring to systems with no water pump, that use the heat produced by the engine to circulate the water. As to not having a thermostat, that is unusual when an engine has a water pump, however, many of the older machines required the operator to pay attention to what was happening, not just steer. The operator may have been expected to control engine temperature with the shutters, and that would have required adjustments according to load, air temperature, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Darryl Ovens
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Darryl Ovens » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:08 am

Yes. That is my definition of thermosiphon too, maybe the water pump is an afterthought or maybe those were the only radiators available after the war, in Germany. I thought it seemed a bit weird on both those points too. Sort of makes you less confident about both assumptions!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:51 am

I still don't know what you mean when you say "thermosiphon type radiator". What is that? Do you mean non-pressurized?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:49 pm

If you Google Farmall DED 3, you get quite a bit of information, including a brief discussion on Yesterdays Tractors where a man from Wales replied and seemed to know quite a bit about them.
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-b ... ns&th=6970
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Darryl Ovens
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Darryl Ovens » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Radiators on thermosiphon type systems tend to have bigger tanks (esp the top one), with larger diameter connections and filler caps and are usually taller and narrower. esp when compared to similar HP engines. I guess when you are only relying on convection to circulate the water you don't want to impede it with extra restriction! So they tend to have a particular look about them.

Cheers
Darryl

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 am

Really old designs (1920's, '30's) usually had very large tanks than more modern designs. Many of them tended to boil off the coolant and the large upper tanks let them run longer without refilling. Many of them were thermosyphon systems but many were not. I think it is a false conclusion to correlate the two.

Darryl Ovens
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Darryl Ovens » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:56 am

Ok maybe I should rephrase that item 1
It appears to be like an unpressurised "boil off the coolant" style radiator as it has large tanks, a very large diameter filler cap and it is quite tall and narrow. You could easily poor water into this cap from a bucket with out spilling any.

Cheers
Darryl

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”