Cub Data Plate

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
User avatar
IHCFan1950
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:59 pm
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) A.K.A "Smokey the Great Bear Cub"
1952 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Shreveport, LA

Cub Data Plate

Postby IHCFan1950 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Hello all. Just a quick question about Cub data plates. As some of you know, the current project was a victim of a barn fire. The data plate was mostly melted off, and no markings were recognizable. I do know by looking at the date that was cast into the frame (4-5-T) that the tractor was made in April 1950 and the engine serial number is 110989 (may not be exact as I am typing from memory). My question is, was there a pretty consistent gap between engine and frame serial numbers so that I could simply make the approximate difference up and re-stamp a close to original serial number on the new plate, or should I use the engine's serial? Another problem I have encountered, is that I asked my neighbor(the heir of the original owner) if he had any paperwork that would potentially identify the original serial. Unfortunately, no original paperwork for the tractor survives. Thanks for the help!
If a sharp rap with your hammer doesn't work, you know it's an electrical problem! :lol:

Circle of Safety

Cubfriend
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:13 pm
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Formal H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; #100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub 252 Cultivators; 3 Cub 193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub 193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster.
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Grand Island, Nebraska

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby Cubfriend » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Sometimes the delivery report in the front of the Operators Manual has the serial number written in it. Without the Operators Manual it would be tough without workorders or receipts. Did a local dealer do work on it that may have kept a work order with a serial number on it?
Frank

User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby Stanton » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:57 pm

I know that only the earliest Cub tractors produced had a matching serial and engine number (I realize that's not your question). For example, my '47 Circle Cub has matching numbers.

As far as I know, the difference between the two is variable; different gaps at different times. After that first Cub was assembled that had a different serial and engine number, they never matched again. No one knows that point in time or how much they differed after that.

By using your engine number as your serial number, potentially, you're duplicating someone else's serial number. I'm sure you already thought of that.

The only way to get a unique serial number is to borrow one from a destroyed Cub close to your model year.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

User avatar
IHCFan1950
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:59 pm
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) A.K.A "Smokey the Great Bear Cub"
1952 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby IHCFan1950 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Cubfriend wrote:Sometimes the delivery report in the front of the Operators Manual has the serial number written in it. Without the Operators Manual it would be tough without workorders or receipts. Did a local dealer do work on it that may have kept a work order with a serial number on it?


Thanks Cubfriend. Unfortunately, absolutely zero paperwork relating to the tractor has survived. Or if it has, it is buried in his files and he doesn't remember. It was originally my neighbor's father-in-law's tractor. Like so much stuff, it could have gotten thrown away after being considered "not necessary" anymore.
If a sharp rap with your hammer doesn't work, you know it's an electrical problem! :lol:

Circle of Safety

User avatar
IHCFan1950
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:59 pm
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) A.K.A "Smokey the Great Bear Cub"
1952 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby IHCFan1950 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Stanton wrote:I know that only the earliest Cub tractors produced had a matching serial and engine number (I realize that's not your question). For example, my '47 Circle Cub has matching numbers.

As far as I know, the difference between the two is variable; different gaps at different times. After that first Cub was assembled that had a different serial and engine number, they never matched again. No one knows that point in time or how much they differed after that.

By using your engine number as your serial number, potentially, you're duplicating someone else's serial number. I'm sure you already thought of that.

The only way to get a unique serial number is to borrow one from a destroyed Cub close to your model year.


Thanks Stanton! I didn't realize the numbers matched at any point in production history, but it does make sense that they would have matched on very early examples. I guess, I will have to go in search of a destroyed Cub now! Oh, well, I guess I could leave it blank for right now and add numbers later. Or for that matter leave it blank period.
If a sharp rap with your hammer doesn't work, you know it's an electrical problem! :lol:

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 8773
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 8:02 pm
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: CO, Longmont

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Or put something in place of the sn like "born in April 1950".
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 2518
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Wa.

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby Glen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi,
You could look through Raymond Durban's database, which is shown on the posting page on this website, and see what engine serial numbers were close to yours, and see what the tractor serial numbers were.
Here it is below, click on the Cub Database listing on the page.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87029

Below is info from TM Tractor about the casting codes. You can look at more codes on the Cub, and see if all the parts with codes were made in the same year.
The clutch housing code is usually partly behind the clutch pedal.

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/castdate_loc.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_004.htm

User avatar
IHCFan1950
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:59 pm
Zip Code: 71119
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (Barn fire survivor) A.K.A "Smokey the Great Bear Cub"
1952 Farmall Cub
1990 Kubota L2250
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby IHCFan1950 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
You could look through Raymond Durban's database, which is shown on the posting page on this website, and see what engine serial numbers were close to yours, and see what the tractor serial numbers were.
Here it is below, click on the Cub Database listing on the page.

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87029

Below is info from TM Tractor about the casting codes. You can look at more codes on the Cub, and see if all the parts with codes were made in the same year.
The clutch housing code is usually partly behind the clutch pedal.

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/castdate_loc.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_004.htm


Thank you sir for the link! I still haven't scratched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all the knowledge and information on this forum!
If a sharp rap with your hammer doesn't work, you know it's an electrical problem! :lol:

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 3383
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:34 pm
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: AL (Southwest)

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm

IHCFan1950 wrote:..........I still haven't scratched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all the knowledge and information on this forum!

And you probably never will, IMHO. It's just like having Christmas every day, I receive a gift of knowledge every time I'm on this Forum (and that's almost every day). I've never been in a group quite like this one in my 74 years! Thanks to everyone, old and new, who contributes. Stan

User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: Cub Data Plate

Postby Stanton » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 am

staninlowerAL wrote:
IHCFan1950 wrote:..........I still haven't scratched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all the knowledge and information on this forum!

And you probably never will, IMHO. It's just like having Christmas every day, I receive a gift of knowledge every time I'm on this Forum (and that's almost every day). I've never been in a group quite like this one in my 74 years! Thanks to everyone, old and new, who contributes. Stan


Quite agree. Couldn't have said it better.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests