This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Intro: Not a Cub Owner (yet)--advice needed

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:03 am

Greetings all-- This seemed like such a friendly, helpful community that I registered even though I don't own a Cub, or any tractor (yet). I've been doing research, mostly online, for a year or so and as my sig line says, trying to choose a tractor is crazy-making. I live in rural eastern Connecticut, the "quiet corner," mostly forested with hardwoods (except for those danged McMansions that are going up everywhere), lots of stone walls, glorious fall colors, deer, wild turkey, coyotes howling in the distance at night, some surviving dairy farms. Perhaps this isn't what you think of for CT, but the eastern part of the state is not anything like that corner near NYC. My husband and I also own 55 ac. of rural land in Western Maine, and that's what the tractor would be for (details below).

By way of introduction, my name is Jocelyn and I'm a professor at the U. of Connecticut. I'm also a dog lover (have 2) and horse rider (1 Belgian-X gelding--yes, I know I should make HIM earn his hay by doing some work but getting into that is complicated; I ride English), avid gardener, trail maintainer for a strech of the AT/Long Trail up in Vermont, certified Appalachian Trail chain sawyer, singer (soprano & enthusiastic church chorister) and--I'd like to be a farmer when I grow up (ha ha).

Which brings me to Maine, and tractors. Our land is right at the foot of, and going up, one of the foothills in the Western Mts. It is an old colonial farmstead (cellar hole & dug well on the property, lots of rusty maple syrup buckets lying around, neat stuff!). It was partly logged in the past (but more than 10 years ago). What this boils down to is: lots of land that is not usable--wetlands, streams, a waterfall, steep (!) slopes--but enough to make some nice pastures and fields IF it's cleared of the buried wood debris and secondary growth (= some really nasty stuff). You may know what previously logged land looks like--the old equipment ruts and overgrown, half-rotted logs make the ground VERY uneven & spongy in places.

What I'd like a tractor for is land clearing and maintaining some fields, which would at first be pastures and small growing plots. The tasks would be: mowing brush/bush hogging, skidding logs, tilling, harrowing, general hauling. Stability, traction, compact size for maneuverability and a high clearance are important. You can tell that I'm looking for an affordable, versatile working machine, not a show tractor. This may be heresy here, but what I would REALLY like (in my dreams) is a new 4x4 Kubota... blah blah blah. Well, can't afford $13k right now, and that's a fact.

I'm posting today because an old fella nearby has a '53 Cub for sale, real nice & clean looking (he had it parked on the roadside one Sunday and I stopped on my way back from church). Turns out the seller doesn't know anything about Cubs. He got it from a neighbor in a trade. He's never used it and isn't interested in it (gasp) except as a way to get some money. It has the manure bucket (which he says "ain't worth much" -not sure what that means) and "runs perfect." (I haven't actually driven it yet.) Asking whether I should buy a Cub here might be like asking the choir if they'd like to sing, but I'd be grateful for some advice. I am impressed by the Cub's high clearance, compact size and mechanical simplicity (I like a manual trans & something my husband can repair--oooops! don't tell him I said that!). And yes, I admit the affordability is perhaps the biggest draw. BUT there are the drawbacks of an antique tractor: no 3-pt-hitch, non-standard PTO, no ROPS. Hmmmm.

Sorry for such a long post. I LOVE old tractors and I can't afford a bells & whistles new one.... Thanks for reading this!

The Lady Professor Who Wants to be a Farmer (and Tractor Owner)
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")
--------------------------
"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:15 pm

Jocelyn - Welcome aboard! It sounds like you have found an ideal place for leisure / retirement living. If your hills are not real steep and you don't intend to drag out any really large logs, you will find the cub to be a real workhorse with great high ground clearance.
Used with a little common sense, it can be safely operated even without all of today's required safety devices. The cub is ideally suited for the other tasks you mention. Mowing, tilling, general hauling are right up the Cub's alley so to speak.
Tell that fellow that he is probably right, the cub isn't much of a tractor but you'll be willing to take it off his hands for a nominal fee. :lol:
If you purchase the cub and need help, you'll find it right here. We even have members in your area who would be willing to provide some hands-on assistance or advice if needed.
Good luck on your search!

Bigdog
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:50 pm

Jocelyn:

Image to what BD said :arrow: :wink: 8) :D

First, Image to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

Now, I use my Cubs to do all kinds of chores on my 25 acres of mixed wood lot, gardens and fields. Ellie-Mae and Granny yard logs, haul 4 foot cord wood on my home built logging wagon, pull a snow trail groomer to keep my road well maintained, plow, harrow, cultivate, dig potato's with a M-H potato digger and plow snow in the winter along with all manner of other chores. Soon, mowing will be part of the chore list as well.

My wife's uncle is constantly telling me how poor a tractor the Cub is (he has had one for 25 years... and won't sell it and uses it every year for his gardening :!: :roll: :oops: :shock: :lol: :lol: ) and everytime I try something new with my Cub, his eyes open wide in shock and surprise. He no longer says too much about what a Cub cannot do, but now speaks of what a Cub CAN DO... big role reversal.

So tell your neighbour that you will gladly take that worthless little tractor off his hands and lighten his load ... for a small amount of money considering he doesn't think it is worth much...

Trust me... you will not only have your hands on one of the finest engineered marvels of yester-year, it is still the very best all around garden/chore tractor around..

However... you must understand that a Cub IS NOT a Kubota 4x4 nor is it even comparable to a small Massey Ferguson 4x4. With great care, time, a lot of patience AND using your noodle.. you can accomplish much with a Cub.. BUT a Cub is not a skidsteer.. it is not a log skidder, it is not a dozer and it is not a cross country trail machine. It is however very good at a great many things.

I use mine as I said for yarding my logs.. I live in New Brunswick, which is not at all dissimilar in landscape to Maine.. same type of mixed forest, same type of hilly terrain.. all part of the ancient Appalachian mountains, the oldest around... but you have to be careful.

For some of your work, it may be best and safest to at times RENT a CUT 4x4 tractor of some brand name to do the really difficult stuff.. but the rest of it a Cub should be able to handle provided you take your time and think before you attempt stuff that you are not sure of. The best rule of thumb with a Cub is

If it doesn't feel safe... it probably isn't.. Think safe, work safe, live long :!: :!: :!:

Ok, so here is the spiel Image:

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ Prior to Posting. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's 1 and ATIS FAQ's 2, The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub. In addition to this basic information, there are also a number of other useful tools available on the server. There is the Specialty Services page which has contact info for neat stuff like getting your seats recovered, buying quality Decals, Serial Number tags and a host of other neat items. Also there are the Parts Pages - both Used Parts Suppliers and New Parts Suppliers pages with links to quality dealers. I am always looking for YOUR favourite dealers for New and Used Parts to include here. These are intended to complement the businesses who support FarmallCub.com Website.

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the three most important manuals you can own for Maintenance, Repair and Rebuilding your Cub. These are the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the Cub Manual Server, it is better is you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only Authorized IH Publication Reprint House and they have the best quality manuals available. Most other's are not of the same quality. Just a personal thought here, the I&T Shop Manuals, although helpful in some areas, really are not sufficient for the job. If you wish though, they are good additional reference works.

IF you really want to get the skinny on all things Cub, might I suggest you get a copy of Ken Updike's Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet's :?: . Along with Guy Fay's Letter Series Originality Guide, these are two must have's in anyone's collection.

In addition to the above information, don't forget to check out the various articles that are available to help with your Repair, Restore, Rebuild or just your Maintenance Projects. There are a number of sub pages such as Electrolysis or Rust Zapper's, Maintenance Tips, Jigs and Techniques, Implement and Part Sketches and of course the Paint, Decals & Other Finish Questions which has the Paint Chart and the Paint Committee Decisions links.

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, Image to the Cub FamilyImage :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:39 pm

Welcome, Welcome , Welcome Thrice welcome you are.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:43 am

Wow! Thank you for such a wonderful welcome. (Now if I can just figure out how to put the Smileys into a message--I really like the laughing one!) Well, as a result of your collective sage advice I'm going to go by Arthur's (the seller) house, which is just on the other side of Moose Meadow Road (I am NOT kidding) and take a look at that ol' not-worth-much '53 Farmall Cub that he wants to get a little money for. At least I'll take it for spin if he hasn't sold it yet.
Thanks again! I'll keep y'all posted. Jocelyn
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")

"All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all."

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:33 am

DITTO to what Rudy said. I think that his response is the most honest assessment of a Cub that I have seen.

You will fall in love with the little man when you get in the seat!

Good luck and happy tractor hunting...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Re: Intro: Not a Cub Owner (yet)--advice needed

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:47 pm

FarmLadyWannaB wrote:Wow! Thank you for such a wonderful welcome. (Now if I can just figure out how to put the Smileys into a message--I really like the laughing one!) Well, as a result of your collective sage advice I'm going to go by Arthur's (the seller) house, which is just on the other side of Moose Meadow Road (I am NOT kidding) and take a look at that ol' not-worth-much '53 Farmall Cub that he wants to get a little money for. At least I'll take it for spin if he hasn't sold it yet.
Thanks again! I'll keep y'all posted. Jocelyn

Jocelyn:

You be sure to let us know what it was like when you took that Cub for your first spin... I just betcha you get hooked good...

One of my close friends from GSLC was over this morning.. ( I have to fix the Church's lawn mower - too bad it isn't a Cub :!: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :lol: ), and he got up on Ellie-Mae this morning for the first time. Wow :!: You should have seen the look on his face :!: :arrow: :wink: :lol: It went in a blink of an eye from suspicion (fear of the unknown) to absolute joy... that grin spread literally from ear to ear... I think I have another convert :idea: :!: :arrow: 8) 8) He is looking for a tractor to mow his grass at the cottage and plow the snow in winter so he can get in to the cottage... :idea: :!: The Cub is the perfect machine for that..

Now this is one of them really simple questions to answer... thank you btw... I like simple answers to simple questions 8) :lol: . When you reply to a post, your Post a reply window comes up... on the left hand side of the pane is a group of Emoticons... these are the little smilies.. run your mouse over them and it will tell you which one is which.. then as long as you cursor is set in the message box, you can then click one to insert it where you want it..

If you visit the How To Forum, you will see a topic called How To Do Neat Stuff in a Post. This will help you insert pics, urls and all kinds of other neat stuff..

Have fun with it...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:29 pm

Welcome to the greatest form on the web!

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

WHEEEE!! My first Cub ride!

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:44 pm

Well, went and chatted up ol' Arthur, who as it happens has owned (fixed up, restored) 30 tractors but is partial to Fords and uses an 8N as his basic work machine. He had a neighbor pal there and I'm sure they were interested to see what this petite woman (I look a lot younger than I am) was going to make of this antique tractor. After checking for leaks, cracks, and getting a run-down on what-is-what, and seeing that the hydraulics work, and getting a feel for the gearing pattern, I DID IT! First I gulped because I was certain I was going to embarrass myself big time in front of these two gents, who were going to watch me and make comments, for sure. But I acted confident and took the '53 Cub for a spin down the road, turned it around, made some curvy lines and listened for nasty noises, got it into 3rd gear (YA-HOOO!!) and Reverse too, and didn't stall it out once!! I even kind of got the hang of the trottle vs. the gear. I was amazed at how EASY it was to drive and (especially) shift. I almost got the friction point and smooth clutching even in a short ride. Mind you, we are having Noah's Deluge around here--I'm beginning to wonder if it'll ever stop raining. So we (me & the Cub) got a bit wet but the rain just beaded on the shiny red paint and I got to sample the traction on wet pavement. Again, I give it a high pass!
BTW, there aren't any leaks or visible cracks, it started right up and it doesn't smoke and is surprisingly quiet and WOW WAS THAT FUN!!!
I took a look at the manure bucket, which is an OK size for us, but he hasn't hooked it up or used it. He's only owned the Cub one month--it's just something he got to sell--but he says it works. In any case, they go together.
Now you may rightly suppose that at this point I am slavering for the cute little red toy but I'm staying rational. It has steroidal big Ag tires on the back and auto tires (!) on the front, "so it wouldn't tear up the lawn," according to the guy he got it from. I guess you can find Ag tires for the front? There are BIG wheel weights on the rear, which is good for our uneven Maine land. For snow, he strongly recommended chains.
OK, thrills aside, here is Prof. Rationality talking: only 10 horsepower? Isn't that kind of underpowered for pulling, tilling and snowplowing? And can you really get implements for it? I'd want a front plow and cultivator to start, then a disk harrow. How hard is it to find these?
In any case, y'all were right about loving it.... to be continued!
Thanks, Jocelyn
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:51 pm

Sounds like you have been bitten, good luck.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:40 pm

Jocelyn:

Felt good didn't it :!: :arrow: :wink: :shock: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yup, you done got bit... :!: :!: :lol: 8) :D :D

Loader and Cub.. nice combination. The loader especially if it is an IH 1000 single arm loader will be worth at least what the Cub is worth or more.. and if it is a Wagner, almost as much.. Remember that it is only for light stuff.. no big loads of gravel and remember a Cub is not a dozer....

OK, thrills aside, here is Prof. Rationality talking: only 10 horsepower? Isn't that kind of underpowered for pulling, tilling and snowplowing? And can you really get implements for it? I'd want a front plow and cultivator to start, then a disk harrow. How hard is it to find these?

Only 10HP :!: :?: :arrow: :roll: :?: :!: :!: That is Drawbar Horsepower.. and it is used as a measure of work, not as a measure of how much RATED HP at PEAK RPM under NO LOAD like a Briggs and Stratton or a Tecumseh is rated....

This is according to the Nebraska Field Tests.. not some meter on a workbench....

A C-60 in a Cub well tuned.. wow.. best garden tractor in the world -- PERIOD !!!!

Try pulling a 2 horse Disc Harrow with a 12.5HP Crafstman Lawn Tractor or even a Lawn and Garden Tractor, or any other flavour of MTD special. You are not even going to move it, never mind do any work with it.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Finding implements is not too arduous at all. In fact it is more fun than anything. Remember, a lot of single tree and double tree 1 or 2 horse drawn implements can be pulled by a Cub quite nicely and also modified to work with a Cub as well. I have just done that very thing with an old IH single tree-2 horse team disc harrow.. and it works like a charm.. Cubs and Disc Harrows. I haven't posted the latest pics yet, but I will get around to it. I have been having way too much fun playing with Ellie in the garden with the disc harrow ..... boy.. almost as good as a tiller.. only difference is a tiller is faster..

So, there are lots of implements available. I would recommend the Cub-193 Moldboard Plow, the Cub-144 Cultivator, a disc harrow.. say the Cub-23A, Cub-38 Disc Harrows should be available..and of course a Cub-54 or 54A Levelling and Grader Blade.

Here are some examples of what is available for a Cub on eBay:
International Farmall Cub Snow Blade / Grader Blade

Farmall Cub International Cub Tractor 54A Grader Blade

International Farmall Cub 2-Way Moldboard Plow & Drag, This is actually a Cub-189 Two Way Moldboard Plow and a Spring Tooth Harrow - which is a good piece of kit to have. I have one for levelling my gardens..
Image and Image

Farmall Cub Cultivators Front and rear. He isn't selling the lift bar, but it is available on the Cub Manual Server and is easy to build.

Farmall Cub 42" Woods Mower
This is something I would be looking at to mow the acreage... :idea: :wink: 8)

For an idea of what implements you might need, check out the Cub Implement Manuals on the Cub Manual Server. Not all of the manuals I have are uploaded yet, there are more.. a lot more, and there are still a lot more I don't even have copies of yet..

Also, check out these fine folks:
These are our official Farmallcub.com sponsors and are awesome people to deal with. They epitomize what doing business back when really meant friendly and honest, curteous and fair :!:

There are also pics of implements on TM Tractors site as well in the Gallery.

You can also check the For Sale/Wanted forum for other implements etc., that our members have up for sale...

I hope that this has been helpful. A little verbose.. but hey sometimes I can't help myself.. :!: :roll: :wink: :D

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Of horsepower, implements of destruction, and LOTS of salt

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:14 pm

Dear Rudi,
A big thank you for the information, and especially for taking the time to paste in those pictures. :) I really have looked at a lot of sites, including the sponsor parts dealers, but finding the implements with actual prices listed plus some idea of location/shipping wasn't easy. Which IMNSHO goes to show that asking a live hooman bean is often a LOT more efficient, and certainly more enjoyable, than spending hours going thru web pages :!: You're a lot likelier to get a straight answer :!:
(Oh boy, now I know how to use the emoticons too! I'm loaded for bear!)
I did find the Cub a lot peppier than the horsepower rating would suggest. But heck, nowadays those sissy lawn tractors (oooops--pardon me--they're just so, well, small :oops: ) can have 18-20hp, so it's hard to figure.
By the way, the rear wheels on this Cub are loaded with calcium chloride. Somewhere I recall reading a warning about that, but I can't remember what it was.
Again to be continued! :arrow: :D
Jocelyn
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:01 am

Jocelyn:

No problem.. just glad to be able to help out in what ever way I can. You will find that this is a common trait to be found in our Cub Family.. as you can tell, many of us are ole tyme peoples.... at least in our hearts.. :!: :wink: :D

CaCl is a problem sort of. But not one that is difficult to overcome. CaCl will corrode the rims badly and must be used with tubes as a bare minimum. Cacl is also just in my mind an added nuisance as it actually makes changing a tire a much bigger job and a lot more dicey (read dangerous because of the added weight). A simple fix is to actually drain the tires... any competent commercial tire shop or tractor dealer shop can do this and dispose of it for you. You definitely do not want it getting anywhere near a fish pond, or a brook.... Simple water and antifreeze will provide the same value, but a good set of weights and chains in the winter will prove to be substantially more useful. But again, opinions vary on this topic.

As for asking a live whoman bean Image to that sentiment, which is one I express most vehemently whenever I use the old VOTWP (Voice Over Twisted Wire Pair) telephone and get one of them infernal automated PABX's... push 1 for this, push 2 for this.. ad nauseum.. please let me speak to a pipple huh :idea: :!: :?: :arrow: :roll: :arrow: :!: :!:

Remember the horsepower house of cards.. that is something one does not really want to start comparing. It is a case of the old apples and pears and maybe an orange thrown in for good measure.

There have been a number of threads on this very subject and a simple search using the search link above will provide ample reading material for you.

I am curious as to what he wants for this Cub and Loader and if you have come to a decision or part thereof :?: :?:

Let us know.. :D

FarmLadyWannaB
10+ Years
10+ Years

The Decision!

Postby FarmLadyWannaB » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks again, Rudi! By the way, people say that the way out of "voice mail hell" is just to keep hitting zero. So far I have found that it works! And pressing it many times vigorously is a good way to let out the fury one feels when a machine :x keeps telling you you're invalid! :wink:

But back to the Cub I'm eyeing 8) --I've got him down to $2100 including the bucket loader. I have 'comparison shopped' on the web and that seems reasonable--yes? It's in very good running order (no smoke, stays in gear, pretty quiet) and has been well kept up--nice paint job, rear tires not worn. Interestingly, the headlights are not on it, although he has them. The seller showed them to me and said the guy who owned the tractor said they belonged to it. But he thinks they are the wrong ones because he (the seller) can't see any way they will go on, trying to put it in one of the three holes on the front-sides. I looked 'em up (thank you, Cubbers, for making pix of the parts available :!: ) and they sure look like the right ones, but I think there is a mounting bracket missing--something that the vertical long bolt goes into, which then goes into the hole on the side. Does that sound right? (I know I can research this further on the site, but haven't had a chance yet.) I have to make a decision today. I still want to go back and check a couple of things that I read about here :) , again issuing my gratitude to y'all.

Heck, if I have to locate and buy a mounting bracket then he ought to knock off another hundred, no? :lol:

At the moment I admit I'm feeling kind of chicken about the decision :oops: but I am telling myself that this would be a good starter tractor to give us some pulling/hauling relief up in Maine. Last time we were up there we DR'd (now let me tell about our DR!) and felled some dying trees from a spot I want to seed in pasture grass. Moving that wood, and the half-buried log debris, just the two of us, was truly backbreaking :arrow: :roll: :!: What an ordeal! By the way, what's the best way to drag a tree (NOT huge trees) with the Cub? Use chains to drag a single one and/or build a log sled? Sorry--getting off the Intro topic!
Thanks again, Rudi and all!
Jocelyn, wanting to be a TractorLady
1948 Farmall Cub ("Lil")

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:17 pm

Jocelyn:

Yup, hitting "0" will work sometimes... but not always. I have found simply hanging up the phone works too! They eventually get the point.

I've got him down to $2100 including the bucket loader.

Without pics, that sounds more than fair.. in fact sounds like a steal.. so quick, count up your scheckles and Buy, Buy, Buy IT :!: :!:

Interestingly, the headlights are not on it, although he has them. The seller showed them to me and said the guy who owned the tractor said they belonged to it. But he thinks they are the wrong ones because he (the seller) can't see any way they will go on, trying to put it in one of the three holes on the front-sides. I looked 'em up (thank you, Cubbers, for making pix of the parts available ) and they sure look like the right ones, but I think there is a mounting bracket missing--something that the vertical long bolt goes into, which then goes into the hole on the side. Does that sound right?

Yup, you are right. The headlight posts are missing. Image They are pretty easy to get... form JP, Ralph or TM... they should be hanging around with the tractor if you are lucky.

Heck, if I have to locate and buy a mounting bracket then he ought to knock off another hundred, no?

I probably would say.. $50.00 but don't argue with him too much over that... remember you are getting a deal/steal here.. even without the posts.

By the way, what's the best way to drag a tree (NOT huge trees) with the Cub? Use chains to drag a single one and/or build a log sled?

I use chains to to that and only one log at a time. And it cannot be a big one. Remember a Cub is good, but it has it's limits and safety is first and foremost. Even with any tractor or skidder, twitching logs can be dangerous.

If the log can be moved safely with 1 or 2 horses, a Cub can handle it, provided the terrain is not too rough. But you need to know your Cub pretty well before you get into that, and that applies to any tractor. I have been hauling wood for nigh on 30 years off and on, and these rules apply to all types of tree skidding/twitching operations.. and that can be dealt with in another post.

Speaking of which.. much of this really should be in the main Cub Forum. as it would be of interest to others as well..

Let us know what you decide to do :!:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”