This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Horseradish Preparation

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Horseradish Preparation

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:20 pm

This process accommodates about a pound of horseradish root. If you are processing more than that, do it in batches.

In a blender or food processor, prepare the liquid base of:

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Wash, peel horseradish root and cut into 1 inch segments. Pour liquid base ingredients into blender or food processor and add 5-6 segments of root. Cover and blend for 10 seconds. Repeat, adding root segments until horseradish reaches the top. Place in clean, glass containers, cap tightly and refrigerate.

You can adjust the consistency of the final product by increasing or decreasing the blending/processing time.

One word of caution! I always conduct all parts of this process outdoors. Fresh horseradish root is very pungent and can quickly overcome you in an enclosed space.

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by Don McCombs on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:47 pm

Sounds like the perfect condiment for a beef sandwich! My wife's old boss used to make fresh horseradish, it sure is better than the stuff sold in the stores.

How hard is horseradish to grow?
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:24 pm

Wife's recipe consists of just the scrubbed clean horseradish. Not peeled. Cut into small chunks. Small chunks are chopped in the blender with just enough vinegar to make juicy. Store in the refrigerator in sealed jar.

Horseradish is very easy to grow - from wife. Seperate the root with the green tops, leaving about 1/2 inch of root attached to the tops. Just stick the 1/2 inch of root in the soil and water.

I have been planting root cutting just under the soil. I find that when I harvest horseradish that some of the roots remain in the soil as well as broken off pieces broken.

You can harvest in one year.

Eugene

dracer398
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48706

Horseradish Preparation

Postby dracer398 » Sun May 28, 2006 12:53 pm

Eugene,
Are there certian months that are good to harvest in?
1951 Farmall Cub, 1979 International 184 with a 1050A Loader (Thanks JP Tractor salvage), 1945 Farmall H, 1934 & 1935 F-12's

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun May 28, 2006 5:58 pm

I dig mine during a warm spell in January or February.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun May 28, 2006 7:32 pm

We usually harvest in the fall or early spring. Wife says the ground needs to be wet when harvesting. As earlier stated we just replant the tops and small roots.

I now have two patches growing. The intent is to harvest one patch a year.

First harvest - Wait one year. Other wise the roots will be rather small.

If you look around old home sites you can frequently find horseradish plants. My neighbor has some horseradish plants are probably 10 years old. These could be dug at any time.

Eugene

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Sun May 28, 2006 9:54 pm

Eugene wrote:Horseradish is very easy to grow - from wife. Seperate the root with the green tops, leaving about 1/2 inch of root attached to the tops. Just stick the 1/2 inch of root in the soil and water.

Hi Eugene :) Would you let this green top and half inch root dry for a couple of days to seal it and protect it against mold much like is required with pineapple tops and cactus?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun May 28, 2006 10:51 pm

We don't dry out the root. Just stick it back in the soil.

I place horseradish beds in locations that I can not mow with a rider mower. Horseradish only gets to about 18" tall, leafy and makes a nice looking arraingement (doesn't look like weeds). Once started and harvested, horseradish will fill in the area. No care needed and the bugs do not bother it. Crowds out weeds. It also remains leafy until the first frost.

Eugene

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”