This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 Lo-Boy finally running

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

184 Lo-Boy finally running

Postby ljw » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:47 pm

The good news is my 184 Cub is finally running! The problem seemed to be the distributor out of time. And the front fan pulley was seizing causing a lot of resistance and making it hard to start. I mowed a couple of acres with it and it seemed just like a regular Cub, ON STEROIDS! It does have a noticeable increase in power. The bad news is I was going to cut some more grass yesterday and I couldn't get the electric clutch to kick in. I tried hot wiring it and it still wouldn't engage. I called IHCase and a new one will cost $455. Has anybody ever tried to repair one of these clutches? I don't know if I want to pay that much for one. I need help!
Larry

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:33 pm

I don't have a wiring diagram for a 184, but I think there are a couple of safety awitches that may apply a ground to operate it. hot jumper may not be what you need.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:39 pm

The wiring diagram for the 154 and 184 are the same. If the tractor starts the problem (Electric PTO clutch switch has to be in off position to start the tractor) is either the PTO switch, wiring from switch to clutch and/or clutch to ground or the clutch.

There is a disconnect immediately prior to the electric PTO clutch. One side of the disconnect is hot and the other side goes to ground. Diagram is not color coded. You could trace each wire to find the ground. Then try the hot wire.

Eugene

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:28 am

John and Eugene,
Thanks for the info. 8) I wasn't thinking. :oops: I knew about the safety switch because I bought a new one from CaseIH. As a matter of fact, I had to rewire the whole system because the connectors had been melted by the PO doing exactly what I was trying. I guess I wanted to rule out the clutch before I took the gas tank off to look for loose or damaged wires. I just wanted to cut grass. My '71 Cub is starting get carbon fouled spark plugs and runs poorly after a couple of mowings. I thought it was caused by the oil rings letting oil get to the plugs. Could it just need a carb adjustment? The plugs are dry but has carbon deposits. Thanks guys. you are fantastic! Sometimes my head feels like a giant potato with no eyes! :roll: What's that saying? He who isn't blind but cannot see. Tom would know. 8)
Larryu

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:49 am

if the plugs are black, the carb is probalby running too rich. to get enough oil past the rings to foul the plugs you should have lwo poer and be getting blue smoke form the exhaust.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:36 am

Thanks, John. It doesn't smoke unless its laboring. I'll look to the carb. Thanks again. Larry

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”