This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

not cub but Farmall H Dist. question

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

not cub but Farmall H Dist. question

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:08 am

Guys
I have been fighting a problem on my dads farmall H for over a year now.
the short of it is I have replaced the cap/plugs/wires/points/ condensor and the plugs at least 2 times. checked the valves at least 6 times. Set the timing another 12 times. all that looks good. Compression was 90,91,91,90 for a 1944 disalite head I don't think that is bad.
I keep getting a miss in this tractor. It will run great for a while then run on 3 cylinders or run on 4 prety crappy. the only thing I can think of next is to try a different dist. I think maybe the bushing are worn out and it is causing a problem. Would any of you have a spare I could borrow to test this out? I would pay for shipping.
Chad

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:38 am

Chad,

I'd be thinking more about the possibility of an intermittent sticking valve. How about trying your favorite elixir in the oil, and maybe in the gas as well?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:21 am

Try it on the valve stems too.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 am

Sticking valves. Change the oil then add a bit of Seafoam (or similiar).

Distributor. Sometimes the innerds get gummed up. They are fairly simple to disassemble, clean and relub. Check the weight pivots for wear.

Under the rotor, in the center of the rotor mounting post, on some distributors, is a wick. This wick is supposed to be and is seldom if ever oiled. The wick lubricates part of the advance. Also the points pivot post takes a bit of grease.

Eugene
Last edited by Eugene on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:06 pm

CJ, check for side to side play in the distributor shaft. if there is any it will change the point opening, and can cause a miss. Another possibility is a crack in the manifold openign and closing with heat changes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 pm

Hey 'CJ'...I had a similiar problem with my Farmall M when I first got it...LOWE & BEHOLD...it turned out to be a BAD COIL (that would short itself intermitently) :shock:

ONE NEW COIL...and she was chuggin'along on all 4 GIANT PAINT CANS! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:04 pm

The compression numbers are right one. Can you determine if the miss is random or always from the same cylinder? That would at least separate the engine from the spark maker. Next time its missing very noticeably try using one of those inductive neon spark indicators to see if its missing randomly or from a single cylinder. If its just one cylinder pulling a plug wire while its running won't change anything.
You didn't say if the miss is at idle or under load. I would also time it by ear to see if it smooths up. I had a situation once where after carb rebuild and ign tune up, the tractor still ran real bad missing at random. Finally I loosened the distributor and timed while running at idle and its purred like a kitten ever since.

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:01 pm

OK I agree with John the cub owner check for an intake leak go and retighten all the intake nuts, Next are you using solid core copper plug wires,Points clean and gapped at 20 thousands, good autolite plugs champs are not working well these days,All wires are good,NO water in gas,valves set corectly cold and hot. I would check these things before I try another dist . On second hand I would throw a mag on her to try instead of a dist to see if its the motor or electronic.
JON
http://www.farmallmagneto.com

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:38 am

Guys lots of things to try. I have tried 3 different coils. so I doubt it is that. Yes soild copper core wires. all champion plugs but many different sets. I think it is one cylinder but yet It seems to move around. some times when it warms up it runs better and it doesn't matter if it is high idle or low idle. once in a great while it seems like a gas problem like if you choke it for a quick second it will run good for a few seconds. I am getting fouling on the plugs that are not firing. I guess I have to do some more fidiling when it warms up. I will check the intake becasue it is a used engine we put in there and we did have to bolt our intake manifold. Maybe it is loose. Thanks guys!

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:40 am

Magman I would love to put a mag on it but I don't feel like taking the one off my dads farmall A and swapping it out.
Chad

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:54 pm

I noticed when I first took off the original manifold on my H that the exhaust holes were carboned up real bad. Might give the manifold a good look.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”