This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

International 184 lo-boy won't start

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricklane
10+ Years
10+ Years

International 184 lo-boy won't start

Postby ricklane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:47 pm

I just bought an International 184 lo-boy yesterday and had a friend pick it up last night. When I got home last night, it started right up. This morning when I went out to play with it, it started right up. I mowed for awhile and then parked it to inspect the engine. Then it wouldn't start. After several attempts, it started as if nothing was wrong. Now I cant get it started at all. The oil light comes on when the key is in the on position, but when the key is turned to the start position, nothing happens. No click, no turn over, no sound whatsoever. I know the battery has a good charge, I just wonder if the starter is getting any juice. I'm off tomorrow and all I wanted to do is go out and play with my new toy. Any suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:54 pm

If you're comfortable doing so, bypass the switch. Do it carefully so you don't keep the solenoid energized.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:38 pm

Make sure all your connections are clean and tight. I put a little grease on all of mine to prevent oxidation. some will tell you not to. It worked for my father, his father and his father. That's 4 generations. Why are you so sure the battery is good? I shot troubles most of my working career and the best thing I learned was take nothing for granted. Check it yourself. First thing i would do is try to wiggle the connections at the battery. If they wiggle they are loose. Next I would wiggle at the starter then at the distributer and coil.
this is a good start. Do you know how to use a volt meter or a pig tail light to test for opens? If not let us know and some one on at the time will lead you through it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:45 pm

Couple of simple things to try. From my one experience working on a 154.

Check to see that the PTO switch is in the off position. There is a start safety switch someplace on the tractor. The 154 has the start safety switch under the frame about where the heel of your left foot would be.

Put everything in neutral, PTO, transmission.

The wiring diagram shows three switches that must function properly for the ignition switch to activate the solenoid. I don't believe all tractors had all three switches.

Eugene

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”