This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seafoaming a Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Seafoaming a Cub

Postby clm2112 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:29 pm

For the amusement of y'all... How I do the Seafoam treatment to a Cub.

Pretty simple. In the pony fuel tank I put an ounce of the Seafoam along with a gallon of gas. This will get fed through the carb to clean out deposits in the bowl and jet.

On the intake manifold, I remove the pipe plug just above the carb flange and install a NPT to 5/16" hose barb. A short length of 5/16" fuel hose, and a tiny vac fitting. The hole in the point of the vac fitting is only 1/32", so the vac leak it creates in the engine is insignificant. If you leave the restriction off, then you will induce a vac leak into the engine so large that it probably will not run. When the process is done and the manifold has cooled off, I take off the hose and barb, then put the original pipe plug back in.

With the engine at high idle, I take a shot-glass full of Seafoam and dip the tip of the tube into it. The manifold vac of the engine will suck the shot-glass dry in a few seconds, so I just let the engine take little sips until it bogs down and starts belching white smoke out the exhaust. Keep repeating for a couple ounces of the Seafoam.

Here is a video of the process being done. The light smoke in the exhaust gas is the Seafoam cleaner that is mixed with the fuel. The billowing clouds are a result of the cleaner going straight into the intake manifold.

http://vid168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/clm2112/1955%20Farmall%20Cub/Cub_Seafoam_Treatment.mp4

Now it is time for me to get real work done, Cheers! :beer:

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Seafoaming a Cub

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Or, you can buy a can of Deep Creep, which is Seafoam in an aerosol can. Disconnect the air cleaner hose from the intake of the carb and spray the Deep Creep in until it bogs down. Do this several times and you have accomplished the same task without the extra hardware.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby clm2112 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Or, you can buy a can of Deep Creep, which is Seafoam in an aerosol can. Disconnect the air cleaner hose from the intake of the carb and spray the Deep Creep in until it bogs down. Do this several times and you have accomplished the same task without the extra hardware.

At $12 for an aerosol can, I'll stick to the $1 worth of hose & fittings.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:45 pm

OK, I'll bite, "What is a vac fitting?" I see the pic but I still don't know what the bugger is? :) I have every thing but the vac fitting laying on a shelf in the Cubhouse.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Postby scotlem » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:OK, I'll bite, "What is a vac fitting?" I see the pic but I still don't know what the bugger is? :) I have every thing but the vac fitting laying on a shelf in the Cubhouse.

Bill

looks like the fittings that come with a mityvac hand held vacuum tester

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Mr. Bill, I'll bet you could use something like the inflation needle for a basketball/football and it would work. :wink:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:06 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:Mr. Bill, I'll bet you could use something like the inflation needle for a basketball/football and it would work. :wink:

Thanks, Stan. Now it looks like I have the whole kit-and-caboodle.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby clm2112 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:18 pm

scotlem wrote:looks like the fittings that come with a mityvac hand held vacuum tester

Pretty sure you are right on the money with that one... it was in the roll-away with a bunch of other odd plastic fittings. Probably came with the Mityvac I bought a decade or so ago for bleeding brake lines.

Other thoughts, like the football inflating needle, would work equally well. For the ultimate in chic-cheap, a brass pipe plug with a hole drilled into it and a piece of silicone rubber tubing will do nicely. Anything that creates a port into the intake manifold, without it being leaky (so the carb still sees a good vac to work properly.)

Normally I tap right into the manifold vac lines on an auto or marine engine (like the vac advance on the distributor), but the Cub is so dirt-simple as to not even have a vac system of any kind.

And it really did do a nice job of blowing the deposits off the crowns of the pistons. Just tucked the Cub in for the night, took out the spark plugs and took a peek down the plug holes. The difference in the the piston crowns is noticeable compared to this morning when I installed the new plugs. Not going to pull the head or manifold off anytime in the near future since the compression is pretty good on all four cylinders. Only thing left on my list is to take off the lifter cover and check the valve lash.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:11 am

Don McCombs wrote:...Disconnect the air cleaner hose from the intake of the carb and spray in until it bogs down. Do this several times and you have accomplished the same task without the extra hardware.
I agree with Don...no hardware needed...I just put Seafoam in a spray bottle...mission accomplished quickly and simply. :{_}:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:35 am

This is the same method you use on cars. Pour seafoam into the brake booster vacuum line. Much more effective than putting it in the tank. And like he said, cheaper than buying the aerosol variant that you can't just dump the excess into the tank.

I'll have to try this method on my Super A.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:31 am

I just take a can of Seafoam and dump it in a full tank of gas and work the tractor hard a day or two. No muss or fuss just a lot of smoke for a while.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:22 pm

I was speaking with my mechanic, he say he pours Seafoam into the cylinders via the spark plug hole and lets it sit. He says he does this with Saturns which are known for burning oil to loosen the rings. My Cub also had a bit of a blue smoke, but not now!. While the head was off for a valve job I rotated the engine, so all 4 pistons were down and poured some in and left it there,
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Instead of an aerosol can, just put some seafoam in an empty Windex spray bottle. Everybody has a pile of old Windex or other spray bottles laying around that they've saved over the years... Right?

Last time I seriously seafoamed an engine I put half a can into the vacuum port using an old KABOOM! spray cleaner bottle.

bibbster
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38355

Postby bibbster » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:23 pm

It's best to let the Seafoam sit and soak than to burn it off as soon as it hits the running engine. You can't always do that, but it makes a huge difference if you can soak it like inairam did.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Nothing going through the carb?

Add sea foam, to the crankcase oil and gas tank the run it. Park it then let it go to work.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”