This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Looking for the correct installation of the trunion bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15438
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Looking for the correct installation of the trunion bearing

Postby clm2112 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am

Almost at the point where I can reassemble the touch control for the fast hitch on my '55 Cub. When I disassembled the hitch last year, the trunion bushing was badly worn and split, with a chunk of the casting missing. I managed to get a new one, but I have been wondering what the correct orientation should be, being there are four possible ways to install it in the oval slot.

Should it be installed with the flange on the outside of the arm (towards the left tire,) or on the inside of the arm (toward the PTO pully), and with the offset hole towards the front or rear of the tractor? My first guess being the flange to the outside and hole to the rear, so the linkage has the most leverage when lifting an implement off the ground. The original, busted up, one was installed the opposite way, flange toward the outside and hole towards the front. Anyone have a photo that shows the way it is supposed to be assembled?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Looking for the correct installation of the trunion bear

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:34 am

The parts catalog shows it installed from the right with the hole forward. You can install with the hole back, which will increase the lifting force but reduce the range of motion. People rarely have a load that exceeds the lifting limit, so forward is usually preferable.

shyntempt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: E7J1V7
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub

Postby shyntempt » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Guess I'm not the only one that finds several uses for baler twine! :lol:

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi,
Here is a page from the 1955 Cub owner's manual showing it installed like Jim said above. Putting it in that way lets the rod be in close to the fender.
The 2nd page shows the shape of the rod, so you can see if yours is still the right shape. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2019.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2018.jpg

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby clm2112 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks All,

Checked out a few at Cubfest in Ohio today as well. Not sure how much abuse the original part was subjected too in order to shatter it, but the replacement is machined from a block of steel and probably harder than the original casting. Took off the rockshaft this evening to weld up the holes in addition to the ends of the linkages.. they are worn into oblong shapes instead of round holes and rods.

Two of the things I ran into when cleaning up the fast hitch where the diagonal link being seized, as well as the rod that allows the hitch to swing left to right. Both had to heated with a torch to break them loose. I am thinking the plow was used for years without being allowed to float, so the up and down forces just battered the heck out of the rods and the trunion bushing.

clm2112
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby clm2112 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:31 pm

shyntempt wrote:Guess I'm not the only one that finds several uses for baler twine! :lol:

Yeah... umm. The twine got added while assembling the fast hitch last year. I made the mistake of just rotating it up out of the way while I was underneath the tractor attaching the castings. Next thing I know, it swings down and smacks me in the head. When the blood stopped and the room stopped spinning, I used a length of twine to tie it off. It isn't a project until you bleed a little. ;)